Windows Live ID Installation Issues concerning One Care RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed One Care and as part of the installation, it is directing me to put in a Windows Live ID and Password.  It will not accept either as the final step of the Windows One Care Installation.  My ID and Password works fine everywhere else including this forum.  Anybody have any idea what is happening here.

Friday, April 17, 2009 9:59 PM

Answers

• This would only happen if you are not entering the Live ID and password originally used to activate One Care. To verify you are using the correct Live ID, sign in to billing.microsoft.com and find your One Care account. If you cannot find your billing account you can contact support for help with finding the Live ID and password associated with your account. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Friday, April 17, 2009 10:22 PM
  • if you changed your password for your LiveID at some point and it is now longer than 8 characters, change it at https://account.live.com to be less than 8 characters, activate OneCare, then change it to whatever you wish. OneCare's activation servers have a problem with long passwords.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, April 20, 2009 12:51 PM

All replies

• If you are installing the trial entering a Live ID is not necessary. If you have purchased One Care you must enter the Live ID and password used to purchase your subscription.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 10:10 PM
  • I had an issue with the computer and needed to uninstall my One Care.  I purchased it, I have the disk and the keycode.  It's only when I went to reinstall it that it would not accept the Windows Live ID and Password, eventhough it is the same ID and Password that I have had for years.  Once again, this ID and Password works perfectly everywhere else.  It is as though One Care is blocking the final Installation.  Is this possible?
    Friday, April 17, 2009 10:15 PM
  • This would only happen if you are not entering the Live ID and password originally used to activate One Care. To verify you are using the correct Live ID, sign in to billing.microsoft.com and find your One Care account. If you cannot find your billing account you can contact support for help with finding the Live ID and password associated with your account. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Friday, April 17, 2009 10:22 PM
  • if you changed your password for your LiveID at some point and it is now longer than 8 characters, change it at https://account.live.com to be less than 8 characters, activate OneCare, then change it to whatever you wish. OneCare's activation servers have a problem with long passwords.
    -steve
    Monday, April 20, 2009 12:51 PM
  • OK. That worked. Got the Windows One Care installed, works great, except I had to set up a second administrator's account to get on and now I have two administrator's accounts.  Everytime, my screen saver comes on, it takes me back to the welcoming window where I now have two accounts with two seperate passwords, and asks me to retype the password to go back to where I was working before the screen saver came on. I am sure there is a simple fix for this, but it is beyond me. Thanks for the help with Windows One Care, works great, but I really only want one administrator's account so that I do not have to keep signing in with my password. Any ideas?

RWMT
    Monday, April 20, 2009 1:10 PM
  • On the account that you wish to make the only account on the PC, go to Control panel, User accounts and select the other account  for deletion.

-steve
    Monday, April 20, 2009 5:07 PM