Message saying product key reported as lost or stolen RRS feed

• Question

• Keep getting a nessage saon the diagnosticsa tool saying the product key is reported as lost or stolen. I bought the computer from a small store three years ago with windows home XP installed. Two months ago I took it back to them to have the motherboard replaced. I guess they reinstalled woindows. The product key on the sticker does not match what I get from the diagnostic tool. Do I have to take the competer back to the shop to have them re-install my copy of XP (which only incudes Service PAck 1A)?Keep
    Friday, July 13, 2007 12:49 AM

Answers

• Please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, you'll see a button to click on which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Friday, July 13, 2007 1:53 AM
  • If the original discs I bought in 2004 were genuine, and the problem is that these discs were not used when Windows was re-installed following a new motherboard, can't I just re-install my original discs  (or get the shop to do it)?

The procedure to acquire a WGA kit involves sending the original disc to the US, and a new disc to be shipped in four to six weeks.  I am reluctant to do this unless I really have to.

Friday, July 13, 2007 2:24 PM
  • Tahe your computer and Windows CD to the repair shop and demand that they install your genuine Windows XP operating system at no charge.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 2:52 PM
  • Take a copy of the diagnostic results to where you purchased the system along with your receipt. Ask them for a genuine copy of Windows. Also you are free to submit a piracy report. Piracy reports will help you along with others both now and in the future. Have a great weekend.

STephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Saturday, July 14, 2007 12:28 AM

All replies

• Please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, you'll see a button to click on which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Friday, July 13, 2007 1:53 AM
  • If the original discs I bought in 2004 were genuine, and the problem is that these discs were not used when Windows was re-installed following a new motherboard, can't I just re-install my original discs  (or get the shop to do it)?

The procedure to acquire a WGA kit involves sending the original disc to the US, and a new disc to be shipped in four to six weeks.  I am reluctant to do this unless I really have to.

Friday, July 13, 2007 2:24 PM
  • Tahe your computer and Windows CD to the repair shop and demand that they install your genuine Windows XP operating system at no charge.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 2:52 PM
  • Take a copy of the diagnostic results to where you purchased the system along with your receipt. Ask them for a genuine copy of Windows. Also you are free to submit a piracy report. Piracy reports will help you along with others both now and in the future. Have a great weekend.

STephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Saturday, July 14, 2007 12:28 AM