Drive Extender, File's on more than two drives RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i was wondering if it is possible to make the drive extender make (more) copies of my files. 
    Let's say I want my files spread over three drives instead of the default two (i'm assuming it's spread out over 2 drives by default).

Last weekend I had the nice experiencing of two drives going missing the same day. 
    Now I'm missing my files that were exclusively duplicated on these two drives... 

In summary: 
     is there any way you can force demigrator.exe to make extra copies spread over the different drives?

Thank you !

Tom

PS: I read the manual about the Drive Extender but can't seem to find an answer to my question.
    See:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/f/c/2fc09c20-587f-4f16-aa33-c6c4c75fb3dd/Windows%20Home%20Server%20Technical%20Brief%20-%20Drive%20Extender.docx
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:40 PM

Answers

• No. It's not possible to modify drive extender's behavior, except through the WHS console. In particular, the "1 copy, 2 copies" logic is built in.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by tdmt Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:13 PM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:52 PM

All replies

• No. It's not possible to modify drive extender's behavior, except through the WHS console. In particular, the "1 copy, 2 copies" logic is built in.
    • Marked as answer by tdmt Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:13 PM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:52 PM
  • Hello,
    I don't think so - it's duplication and not "triplication" :-).
    What you always can do, is to put designated backup drives or network shares on other machines in and create a script to copy the files at a schedule to these external devices (or use the console based backup facilities).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:54 PM
  • Hi Ken,

what do you mean by 1 copy, 2 copies? Do you mean the standard folder duplication?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:55 PM
  • tdmt said:

Hi Ken,

what do you mean by 1 copy, 2 copies? Do you mean the standard folder duplication?

Yes.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:56 PM
  • Thank you for the swift reply.

I posted a suggestion so hopefully we will see Triplication or Quadriplication in PP2 ;-).

Greetings.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:13 PM