none
HPC Installation Procedure Help

Question

• We just got some new servers, and I need some help with the install of HPC to get my cluster back up and running.

The old servers ran Windows Server HPC Edition SP2, and the new servers are running Windows Server 2008 HPC Edition SP1.  I am trying to get the HPC cluster set up using one of the new servers as a head node.  I tried to install the HPC 2008 software, but the option to choose the head node is grayed out.  It will only let me install the Client Utilities.  

I should mention that the HPC software on the old servers was all wiped out.  When I tried installing HPC on one of the old servers the choice for head node was NOT grayed out.  I ended up not installing it anywhere until I can sort this out.

I'm wondering if it is an issue that I have Windows Server 2008 HPC Edition SP1 on the server I want to create the head node on.  Do I need to back the OS on the server down to the version before SP1?

Thank you for your assistance, 

Craig

• Moved by Don PatteeModerator Monday, August 27, 2012 12:41 AM (From:Windows HPC Server Developers - General)
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:39 PM

Answers

• If you are running a Windows Server 2008 operating system on x64 hardware, you can use the HPC Pack 2008 software to set up a head node. The evaluation version is available from this page http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6847  (as HPCeval.iso). Note that this software is 4 years old, and even the last service pack for it is 2 years old. If you are setting up a new cluster, it would be much better to choose a 2008 R2-based solution if possible.

If you are running a Windows Server 2008 R2 operating system, you need the HCP Pack 2008 R2 software to set up the head node. The latest version of that is available at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6535

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:28 AM

All replies

• which Windows HPC pack are you using? 2008 or 2008R2? And which OS are you using? Windows Server 2008 HPC Edition or R2?
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 12:56 PM
  • The most common cause for what you are seeing (only 'client utilities' available on a Server OS) is that the server has not yet been joined to a domain.
    Monday, August 27, 2012 12:41 AM
  • I did check with our server guy and he said we are joined to a domain.

The server is running Windows Server 2008 HPC Edition SP1.  I can't find a version of HPC pack that is 2008 R2 stand alone.  When I try to install HPC pack 2008R2_SP1 I get an error that it can't find target for upgrade.  I assume I need to install 2008, and then upgrade from there, but the software won't let me install the head node if I try to install HPC Pack 2008.  The option for the head node creation is grayed out.  The only option I can use is to install the client utilities.  I was able to install a head node with the same software on a different server last year with no issues.  Not sure what would cause me to not have the option of installing a head node on the new server??  Is there a direct download for HPC Pack 2008R2.  Maybe I just have the patch??

Monday, August 27, 2012 5:36 PM
  • If you are running a Windows Server 2008 operating system on x64 hardware, you can use the HPC Pack 2008 software to set up a head node. The evaluation version is available from this page http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6847  (as HPCeval.iso). Note that this software is 4 years old, and even the last service pack for it is 2 years old. If you are setting up a new cluster, it would be much better to choose a 2008 R2-based solution if possible.

If you are running a Windows Server 2008 R2 operating system, you need the HCP Pack 2008 R2 software to set up the head node. The latest version of that is available at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6535

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:28 AM
  • Thank you Don.  This worked out for me.

Craig

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:11 PM