WLW FTP Upload question! RRS feed

• Question

• I use FTP option upload images, it's can work.
    but, it also auto create a folder like /de_afddffdsdff/my_image.jpg .
    that is confused me, i don't understand the name.
    Can I turn off the auto option?
    or
    other solution.
    thank you
    Bagwe
    Friday, December 19, 2008 7:17 AM

All replies

• The name should be derived from your post title, plus a few random numbers/letters. This is to help us avoid overwriting existing images that happen to have the same name.
    Friday, December 19, 2008 4:30 PM
  •  Joe,thanks for your reply.
    But ,sometime I just wish overwriting those images.
    Because that is same images,and my FTP space is small.
    Another problem as「drived post title」,because I use chinese so it produce that likes de_wfd/abc.jpg.
    I can't know the folder is who post?

Joe thanks again.
    Bagwe
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 8:31 AM
  • Yeah, it's not ideal. And really not ideal for Chinese, since the FTP protocol doesn't support Unicode names.

What blog service are you using? If it's something like Blogger or Windows Live Spaces, you're better off not using FTP since they both offer lots of free space for images.
    Monday, January 5, 2009 6:55 AM
  • I just discovered this problem after paying for Pro service on Photobucket. The last thing I need is a zillion subfolders, one for each post. This has to be changed because it makes the ftp option unusable (and it just cost me $25 to find that out!).

There is no problem with overwriting filenames—Photobucket (and presumably any intelligent file host) automatically resolves conflicts by adding numbers to duplicate file names. It is not a problem, so please change WLW's ftp behaviour to stop creating new folders. Let the user control the software, not the other way around!!

Friday, June 11, 2010 4:00 AM
  • i have the exact same problem.. i lost my 25$
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 9:43 PM
  • I would prefer it if WLW just appended something like this_is_my_description_WLW484Jdk8dJ.jpg so it'd stop making 1000's of folders as my employees and I make thousands of posts.

Also, having the ability to set up FTP "account" so I can just select the FTP I want to upload to from a drop down menu instead of having to set it up for 100's of blogs.

Thursday, October 7, 2010 7:27 AM