Volume Shadow Copy: How Start? RRS feed

• Question

• On Day 1 I scheduled computer A tb backed up by WHS.

No problems at all.

Around day 30, I introduced computer B to WHS by installing Windows Home Server Connector on it.

But when I initiate a backup of B, WHS issues an "InvalidOperationException Service vss was not found on computer."

So.... Noting that VSS is installed on A, I conclude that VSS needs tb installed on B.

(Duhhhhhh....)

Tried re-installing Windows Home Server Connector on B, but still no VSS.

Any thoughts on how to install VSS on B?

As an aside, B is a very small laptop with solid-state (4 gig) system drive that I installed a pared-down version of Windows XP on.... so my paring down process would seem tb a possible cause of the lack of VSS.
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 5:55 PM

Answers

• That small drive may be the reason - VSS needs some free space to work - and on such a small disk you will not find the space necessary. So even if you would install and register the VSS components successfully (which also rely on COM+), a volume snapshot will obviously fail.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 7:22 PM
  • Sounds like it needs something like a hibernation file.

There's a second drive with about nine gigs free on it.   Would that suffice?   Or does the space need tb on the disc that is being backed up?

It needs to be on the same drive.

Do you think that the VSS install is part of the Windows Home Server Connector install?  Or is it one of those things that's assumed tb there in any normal XP system?
    It's part of a normal XP/Vista/7 install.
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 3:19 AM

All replies

• That small drive may be the reason - VSS needs some free space to work - and on such a small disk you will not find the space necessary. So even if you would install and register the VSS components successfully (which also rely on COM+), a volume snapshot will obviously fail.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 7:22 PM

There's a second drive with about nine gigs free on it.   Would that suffice?   Or does the space need tb on the disc that is being backed up?

Do you think that the VSS install is part of the Windows Home Server Connector install?   Or is it one of those things that's assumed tb there in any normal XP system?
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 12:10 AM

It needs to be on the same drive.

Do you think that the VSS install is part of the Windows Home Server Connector install?  Or is it one of those things that's assumed tb there in any normal XP system?
    It's part of a normal XP/Vista/7 install.
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 3:19 AM