CAN'T SUBSCRIBE RRS feed

• Question

•  

Even though I still have 13 days left on my 90 day FREE TRIAL, I am being told that I am no longer protected. I have been trying to subscribe but your software wants a Windows Live ID and a password. How can I have a Windows Live ID and password if I have not subscribed yet? Your online help just sends me back to the window that wants the Windows Live ID and password.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 3:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can create a Live ID here - https://accountservices.passport.net/ppnetworkhome.srf?vv=550&lc=1033

then use the newly created Live ID to subscribe to One Care.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 5:25 PM
  • OK, now I have a Windows Live ID and a password. When I try to subscribe the software accepts my sign in as Step 1. In Step 2, "Associate this PC with a Subscription" when I click continue it takes me to a second Step 2, "Associate this PC with a Subscription" that says I need to subscribe. When I click "Continue Online", it takes me back to the original Step 1. Since everything seems to be operating normally, I guess I will just continue to use up the remaining 12 days in my Free Trial period and then order McAffee. Too bad, I like One Care but it seems that Microsoft does not want my money.

Friday, April 11, 2008 4:51 PM
  • Are you using Internet Explorer or another browser? Try making IE your default if it isn't already. Then go to Tools/Internet Options and on the Connections tab, LAN settings, make sure that automatically detect is not checked and that no proxy is defined. Delete your cookies, clear Temporary Internet Files, close IE.

Now, click on subscribe in OneCare and log in to see if you can complete the process.

-steve

Friday, April 11, 2008 5:56 PM
  • Steve,

I have had nothing but trouble since I let Microsoft update to IE7 so I am using the AT&T Yahoo browser that came with the AT&T DSL. The 90 day free trial of OneCare was a link on their home page.

That said, I will try your suggestions but I suspect that IE will not let me use any links as it always does.

Friday, April 11, 2008 8:17 PM
  • Please do let us know how it goes. It should work with other browsers, but it sounds like your problem may actually be related to the underlying problem with URL handling and a broken IE7. Have you pursued trying to repair IE7? There is free support for IE7 - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/iefaq.mspx

-steve

Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:10 AM
  • I am getting the same results from a paid version that I bought from Staples. I just keep getting sent back to the "activate token" page. I can't activate the same key again. I am using a new install of Vista Ultimate. It comes with IE7. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Oc, and followed Steve's instrauctions from this thread. No luck. This is very frustrating.

I would love to know if anyone else had this problem and fixed it.

Thanks,

Donna

Monday, April 14, 2008 2:53 AM
  • Donna, do you mean that you have signed in and subscribed, but OneCare doesn't recognize that you activated already so it still shows you in trial mode? If so, please click Check For Updates in OneCare after checking your PC date and time. If that still doesn't help, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, April 14, 2008 5:58 AM
  • Contact Billing Support

Validate your OneCare subscription

To access support, choose from the options below.
    Trial subscription versions of the product
    Paid subscription versions of the product
    We could not find your OneCare subscription.
    Please sign in with the Live ID you used to activate your subscription.
    (This can be found in the Help -> About menu of the OneCare client)
    Enter your 20 digit product identification number.(deleted for privacy) Number is located in Help -> About menu of the OneCare client.
    Monday, April 14, 2008 10:09 PM
  • Donna. from the FAQ post for how to reach support if it can't validate the subscription 

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2 :

** Note that if the flow cannot validate your subscription status - legitimately or otherwise, then select the option that you are a "trial or beta" user and proceed to the email support form. Provide as much information as possible, including the fact that you are a paid subscriber and wish to proceed with support via phone or chat.

• To open an email support case without validation:
    • Open OneCare
    • Click on Help
    • Click "Windows Live OneCare Help"
    • In the window that opens, click "Show me more topics"
    • In the browser window that opens, click "Get More Help" in the lower right hand corner
    • Click "Get Support"
    • Select "Billing Support" or "Technical Support"
    • Select "No. This is a new issue"
    • Select "on a different computer"
    • Click Continue
    • Select "I have a trial/beta version of OneCare"
    • Click Continue
    • Sign in with your LiveID
    • Fill in the form with as much detail as possible and click continue
    • Make a note of the Case ID
    • You will typically receive a response within 24 hours, but it may be longer on weekend and holidays or periods of high volume.
    • Be sure to check your Junk Mail folders for the support response when checking your email and insure that you are not automatically deleting mail from unknown senders.

Unofficial path - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste a link to the post to which you are replying. I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

-steve

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 12:43 AM