Windows Update RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows Vista Home Premium. My Windows update seems to be disabled with a red shield and white cross. When I click check for updates I get a message "Windows update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer" I have tried downloading and installing the Microsoft Fixit troubleshooter tool but that fails to install because errors are preventing Powershell from installing. Help required
    Friday, October 14, 2011 9:49 AM

All replies

• Any luck resolving this?  I have the same issue.

Saturday, May 5, 2012 4:51 AM
  • también tengo el mismo problema... please alguien que nos lo pueda solucionar

saludos

Saturday, May 5, 2012 8:53 AM
  • Hi,

Have you checked if the aforementioned service is running ?

To know if it's the case, With an administrator account, click on the startup button, search for cmd.exe, in cmd.exe type "services.msc" without double quotes.

A window should popup, this is actually the list of services installed, if you scroll down you should be able to see a service called "Windows update", on its right you should see if it's running or not.

hope this helps

EDIT: note that a disabled windows update can be the result of a malware behaviour, do you have an antivirus ? up-to-date ?

• Edited by __slkct Wednesday, May 9, 2012 8:11 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:58 PM