Something strange just happened... RRS feed

• Question

• i was remotely connected to one of my clients through the internet doing some work on my office pc since i'm out of town.  i'm using this 24hr rip-off ISP in my room and my time ran out and disconnected me from the internet.  so i pay another $10 and re-connect to the internet and now it seems my internet at my office is down.  is this a coincidence or did the disconnection of the server abruptly, knock my internet or router offline?  no reason for the internet to go down it really reliable, it just seems to ironic that it happens right after i was knocked off.  no one is at my office so i can't get anyone to check to see the lights on my router or modem.  i was depending on this to work while i'm out of town what gives?  i know the internet is down because i have MSN Messenger on one of my clients and it never is shut down and it's showing "offline"
    Friday, December 12, 2008 3:36 AM

Answers

• So may be your ISP had a problem? Did you check the router logs around that time, if there was a disconnect of the Internet connection?
    And after reestablishing the Internet connection the external IP may have changed, but WHS does not instantly reregister after a loss of external Internet connection (I am not aware about the conditions or schedule, which trigger a registration).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 15, 2008 8:59 PM

All replies

• ncinsguy said:

i was remotely connected to one of my clients through the internet doing some work on my office pc since i'm out of town.  i'm using this 24hr rip-off ISP in my room and my time ran out and disconnected me from the internet.  so i pay another $10 and re-connect to the internet and now it seems my internet at my office is down.  is this a coincidence or did the disconnection of the server abruptly, knock my internet or router offline?

There is no way that the internet connection failing/disconnecting on your end can affect your connection on the other end.  No doubt the connection in your office is down.

ncinsguy said:

no reason for the internet to go down it really reliable, it just seems to ironic that it happens right after i was knocked off.  no one is at my office so i can't get anyone to check to see the lights on my router or modem.  i was depending on this to work while i'm out of town what gives?  i know the internet is down because i have MSN Messenger on one of my clients and it never is shut down and it's showing "offline"

Then you got your answer. :)

Friday, December 12, 2008 4:49 AM
  • Well really i don't have my answer.  i was saying i know it's not working cause the pc running messenger is offline combined with the fact that i can't connect to the server.  the only thing that i can imagine would be that somehow the router locked up because of the disconnect or some other reason.  it's just too ironic that it happened when it did and not be connected.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 5:50 AM
  • Hi,
    I guess it's possible that the server, when the disconnect happened, just froze. It shouldn't do, as I've pulled the network connection a few times when doing tests, with no problems. However, it could be a glitch and it's holding open the 'lost' connection so preventing any further connections.
    Can you get anybody to reboot the server?

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 11:17 AM
  • i couldn't get anyone to restart the server at the time but overnight the internet access returned to all the pc's in the office except the server.  i walked my rectptionist through checking the remote access setting on the router and WHS and nothing had changed but it showed up as not being able to be remotely accessed.  WHS was available on the LAN.  i tried to access WHS about 12 hrs later and it worked.  i haven't gotten back to the office yet to see any logs on WHS but something definetly happened when the connection was dropped and it took 24+ hrs for everything to be back to normal.
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 7:48 AM
  • Hi,
    f there was a power outage for the router and WHS got assigned another internal IP address via DHCP, it could have take a while to update that information (if Port Forwarding is configured via UPnP).
    Or the router returned to service, but WHS does not all the time reregister the external IP address to Windows Live Domains, so you had still an outdated address. (These are situations, in which a dyndns domain configured in the router (if the model supports that) can be very usefull.
    Olaf

Sunday, December 14, 2008 9:54 AM
  • there was no power outage that i'm aware of, like i said earlier the laptop i have with me lost it's internet connection while i was connected remotely and then all the problems started: no internet on any pc's for awhile then just no access to WHS remotely but lan ok.  when my recptionist was checking the setting on WHS and the router everything was set so it should have been available for connection remotely.  IP address for WHS was the same as the ones entered in the port forwarding section of the router, upnp was still turned on, remote access was still enabled. 
    Monday, December 15, 2008 8:02 PM
  • So may be your ISP had a problem? Did you check the router logs around that time, if there was a disconnect of the Internet connection?
    And after reestablishing the Internet connection the external IP may have changed, but WHS does not instantly reregister after a loss of external Internet connection (I am not aware about the conditions or schedule, which trigger a registration).
    Olaf
    Monday, December 15, 2008 8:59 PM