VSTO 2010 certification RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

With microsoft choosing to retire the 70-543 exam (TS: Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office) I'm wondering what exactly the new version of this certfication would be?

I've been racking my brain and scoured the learning site for all things related to VSTO, and simply am unable to locate anything that resembles a replacement for this exam. Could anyone be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

Preferably I'd want the 2010 version, but the 2008 version would suffice is nothing else is out yet.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Unless you see an exam in the office and sharepoint section which meets your requirements

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcts.aspx#tab2

then I think you are out of luck.

Exam 70-543 covers office 2007 which is very close to 2010, so my suggestion is take the exam before the end of the month.

Unfortunately I think that sharepoint/Office has taken the budget from VSTO.

Kind Regards,

Ozzy Geoff

Note: some exams like 70-512 do not appear through the learning portal, but I am pretty sure there is not an new exam for VSTO.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Hi Louis,

There are quite a few technologies not served by specific Certificates, but are covered in the broader certificates.

Maybe as a suggestion, if you do not already have them, you could look at the VS2010 certs 70-511, 70-513 and 70-516.  These show you have the Framework knowledge coupled with your VSTO experience which I think would show strong skills.

I do not know which office products you code and how, so apologies if these suggestions are not helpful.

Kind Regards,

Ozzy Geoff

• Proposed as answer by Geoff Clark MCM Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Louis Hansen Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:57 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Unless you see an exam in the office and sharepoint section which meets your requirements

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcts.aspx#tab2

then I think you are out of luck.

Exam 70-543 covers office 2007 which is very close to 2010, so my suggestion is take the exam before the end of the month.

Unfortunately I think that sharepoint/Office has taken the budget from VSTO.

Kind Regards,

Ozzy Geoff

Note: some exams like 70-512 do not appear through the learning portal, but I am pretty sure there is not an new exam for VSTO.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Thank you kindly for the reply.

There doesn't seem to be anything in the office section that immediately springs out, but I'll dig deeper into and see if I can actually find something.

A shame that a technology which is still being promoted is apparently already being neglected so badly on the certification side.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Hi Louis,

There are quite a few technologies not served by specific Certificates, but are covered in the broader certificates.

Maybe as a suggestion, if you do not already have them, you could look at the VS2010 certs 70-511, 70-513 and 70-516.  These show you have the Framework knowledge coupled with your VSTO experience which I think would show strong skills.

I do not know which office products you code and how, so apologies if these suggestions are not helpful.

Kind Regards,

Ozzy Geoff

• Proposed as answer by Geoff Clark MCM Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Louis Hansen Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:57 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:02 PM
  • I already have the 70-549 Enterprise Application Developer certification, so those could potentially be used as upgrades but unfortunately they don't seem to contain anything specific towards Office development.

My main focus is working towards Excel and Word integration, I've been working with these two products, coding up against them using COM exported .Net objects and VBA integration.

Either way, I very much appreciate your efforts and will look into some alternatives surrounding the broader .Net and Visual studio subjects.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:57 PM