Reinstall Hard Drive into HP EX470??? RRS feed

• Question

• A stupid question.  I hav a HP EX470 media server.  I went belly up after about 4 days.   But while it was running I added a brand new 500 gig hard drive.  The server backed up the computer and I transferred a bunch of files to it.  Then it went all bad.  The purple lights lit up on the hard drives.  HP was great and took it back and sent me a brand new unit.

My question is this.  I took the second HD out of the media server before sending back the dead unit.  After setting up the new server can I just slip the second drive in and add to the storage pool?  Or will this be a bozo no no?  I was wondering if the server will not accept it because it has data on it. 

I was hoping to salvage some of the files I treansferred on to it with the new new server.

Thoughts?  Ideas?
    Friday, February 1, 2008 1:43 PM

All replies

• If you want to salvage your files, you can install the drive physically, but don't use the console to add it to the storage pool. Then connect to your server with remote desktop and copy the files from that drive (you may need to assign a drive letter in Disk Management; be careful to assign it to the correct drive). Finally, copy your files form <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc. to your network shares: \\hpserver\etc. Don't copy directly to D:\shares\etc., you run the risk of having some files get stuck on your system drive.

Once you've rescued your files, add the drive to the storage pool again.
    Friday, February 1, 2008 3:59 PM
  • Ken,

Thanks for the response.  I am a little confused though.  When I remote accessed my home server I didn't see the drive.  I did not add it to the storage pool.  But I physically installed it in the box and status light is purple.  Is there something else I should do to be able to access it through remote access?

What am I missing here?

Thanks
    Sunday, February 3, 2008 11:16 PM
  •  ynotme2 wrote:
    Ken,

Thanks for the response.  I am a little confused though.  When I remote accessed my home server I didn't see the drive.  I did not add it to the storage pool.  But I physically installed it in the box and status light is purple.  Is there something else I should do to be able to access it through remote access?

What am I missing here?

Thanks
    You need to connect to the MediaSmart Server using a program called "Remote Desktop Connection" and using the name you gave your MediaSmart server, and the account "Administrator" and the password you gave the MediaSmart Server. Then you need to launch My Computer. In My computer you should see a C:, D: and a E: drive, the E: drive should be the second drive. If you fail to see a drive E: or some other drive than C: and D: then there is a problem with the disk, perhaps it is not formatted, perhaps it failed.

Another option is to install Advanced Admin Console and use it, it has a tab that will allow you to laucnch My Computer and therefore you will not need to use Remote Desktop Connection to get to your MediaSmart Server

Monday, February 4, 2008 4:13 AM
  • Thank you.  I got the advance admin console and it works great.  I can now see my old stuff on the drive.  Now the stupid question I have, is how do I move it back to a hard drive on my pc.  The hard drive in the server is critically full.  I tried the copy command on the admin console and then moved over to a spot on my pc but the paste is not available.

is there a way to move it off the server and back to my pc???

Then i can add the drive to the pool and copy it back over.....

Any thoughts???
    Monday, February 4, 2008 5:01 AM
  •  ynotme2 wrote:
    Thank you.  I got the advance admin console and it works great.  I can now see my old stuff on the drive.  Now the stupid question I have, is how do I move it back to a hard drive on my pc.  The hard drive in the server is critically full.  I tried the copy command on the admin console and then moved over to a spot on my pc but the paste is not available.

is there a way to move it off the server and back to my pc???

Any thoughts???

I don't know enough about your PC, so please forgive me if I ask dumb questions.

First have you shared a drive on your PC where you wish to move the files? The drive or the folder will have a hand under it. Now it would help to know what OS is on your PC. But you'll need to share a folder, and give at least one user right permissions for the folder on your PC. I suggest that you use the username you normally log onto this computer.

In Advanced Admin console, click on my network plaaces.

Under "Unspecified" double click on Entire Network

double click on Microsoft Windows Network

double click on your workgroup name, and I believe you will be prompted for a user name and pass word. If you are use the username and password you log onto your PC, not the one for the WHS. Double click on the computer name, you maybe asked here for the password and name, but you are only asked once. After a minute or so, it will take longer you should see a list of drives you are sharing. On one of them right click. You should see an option to "Map Network Drive..." click on this.

uncheck the "Reconnect at logon box" note the drive letter and click finish.

Click on my computer (tab) and you should now see a list of drives on your WHS, and a new Z drive the drive on your PC, you should now e able to copy in my computer and navigate back to the Z drive and paste within it. Hope this helps.

Monday, February 4, 2008 5:35 AM