Custom client Syncronization provider for MS access ?? RRS feed

• Question

•  

hi

I am developing a application where I need to sync 20 client database with a server database

I have a MS Access database at the client end and SQL database at the server end.

Do I need to build a  custom Client sync provider for this scenario ?

Also the documentation for building a custom client sync provider which i found here http://msdn2.microsoft.com/hi-in/library/bb902809(en-us,SQL.100).aspx does not show how to build one.

My question is how to use the syncronization services in the scenario above ?

Is there a provider which I can use to achieve this ?

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 7:24 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Saturday, January 5, 2008 10:13 AM

Answers

• Hi Pratik,

Yes, could use the client sync provider to create a provider to connect to Access.  Unfortunately, there is not currently a provider for MS Access.  Please keep in mind that if you are using Access you will also have to build in your own change tracking mechanism.  For supported client databases such as SQL Server Compact this is built in already.

I also realize that the documentation on how to create one of these providers is somewhat limited right now and we are working on fixing that. 

Liam

Monday, January 7, 2008 5:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Pratik,

Yes, could use the client sync provider to create a provider to connect to Access.  Unfortunately, there is not currently a provider for MS Access.  Please keep in mind that if you are using Access you will also have to build in your own change tracking mechanism.  For supported client databases such as SQL Server Compact this is built in already.

I also realize that the documentation on how to create one of these providers is somewhat limited right now and we are working on fixing that. 

Liam

Monday, January 7, 2008 5:12 PM
  • Hi!

I have been testing the Sync Framework and I think it's a great work. In fact, we are trying to use it at work to solve a synchronization problem with an Oracle backend in the server and Access as the database in the client. I have been trying to implement a ClientSyncProvider for a simple Access database in order to identify the bits and pieces that we need to customize, but no joy for the moment. Managing the Oracle backend seems easy, since there are some examples that reproduce the same scenario provided by the Sync Framework Team. The problem is that I am not able to generate valid SyncAnchors using DateTime instances, and that means that the DbServerSyncProvider fails to store an appropiate timestamp value when it uses the anchor my client sync provider sends.

Any idea of when will be available more examples or documentation about implementing custom client providers? I saw you presented an example using Access in MIX 08 and it looked as a good example to understand what I need to do.

Thanks for the support,

Diana.

Friday, June 13, 2008 12:54 PM