Running security software in WHS RRS feed

• Question

• My current Home server, is used not only for backups and sharing files, but is also used to run a home security system.  Because the server has over 1TB of data storage, the 8 camera home security system is running on it.  Will it be possible to run security software on the WHS, rather then having to have a dedicated server for running the security software and a seperate server for running WHS.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 10:20 PM

Answers

• Right now in Beta 2 it is possible, but probably not recommended.

Windows Home Server is simply Windows Small Business Server with "some changes and new code"...You can remote desktop to it, or log in locally.

That said, I'd certainly want to run my home security system separate from my Windows Home Server.

The RTM WHS devices might not operate in the same way however. The product team can speak to that - I know nothing :)

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 11:34 PM

All replies

• Right now in Beta 2 it is possible, but probably not recommended.

Windows Home Server is simply Windows Small Business Server with "some changes and new code"...You can remote desktop to it, or log in locally.

That said, I'd certainly want to run my home security system separate from my Windows Home Server.

The RTM WHS devices might not operate in the same way however. The product team can speak to that - I know nothing :)

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 11:34 PM
  •  asty1 wrote:

Can I ask why you wouldn't want to run our home secuirty system on Windows Home Server? 

To be effective, WHS has to be running all the time, similarly a home security system has to be running 24/7.  The ability to access suspect footage from the same location as other personal files and data I would think would be a benefit.  Who wants to have two computers running 24/7?

I hope to be part of beta2 to try it out.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 8:34 PM