migrating money files from Money deluxe 2000 to sunset deluxe RRS feed

• Question

• I have used Money deluxe 2000 to keep my books and have found it very useful in the years I have used it. I have encourage many of my friends to do so.   I have never used the on line services and has thus not upgrade.  Now I have upgrade my computer to Windows 7 and cannot use my Money deluxe 2000 anymore.  I like to upgrade to the new sunset Money deluxe.  I have tried the methods suggested - exporting to loose qif files and then importing them into the new sunset version.  It imports, but any transaction between 2 identical accounts (eg. chequing and saving account) when imported twice, once for each account results in duplicate transactions.  As my files are nearly 10 years old, this become impossible to edit.  I wonder if Microsoft will allow trial versions of earlier version of Money deluxe, so that I can migrate the files I have to the Windows 7 sunset version, I will be most obliged.  I tried the trial version of Money deluxe 2004 but do not recognize my 2000 money files.  If there is a version that will span the gap, I will be most grateful.  I am a loyal user of Microsoft products and hope Microsoft will help users of previous versions of Money to migrate to the sunset version with seamlessly by making previous trial version available and give a map as how to migrate from one to the other versions to the sunset will be most helpful (e.g. version 2000 to version 2003 to version 2007 to sunset version.  

Regards.

Raymond ( In Canada)

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:00 AM

Answers

• I can help with the QIF import process. It's the "Import ALL AT ONCE " bit that lets Money identify the two sides of a transfer as a transfer. The filename thing may not be important in later versions... you could try that if there is a por

If you want to do the QIF export/import, I would follow the steps
    in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;178830

The critical part is to File->Import ALL FILES AT ONCE using Ctrl+<click> to select files.
    Specify "New or Recovered" account when asked.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 1:50 AM

All replies

• I can help with the QIF import process. It's the "Import ALL AT ONCE " bit that lets Money identify the two sides of a transfer as a transfer. The filename thing may not be important in later versions... you could try that if there is a por

If you want to do the QIF export/import, I would follow the steps
    in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;178830

The critical part is to File->Import ALL FILES AT ONCE using Ctrl+<click> to select files.
    Specify "New or Recovered" account when asked.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 1:50 AM
  • Thank you for your help.  I will and try and import all the files at once.  I will keep you updated.  Regards.

Raymond (In Canada)

Monday, July 5, 2010 5:40 AM
  • I have used Money deluxe 2000 to keep my books and have found it very useful in the years I have used it. I have encourage many of my friends to do so.   I have never used the on line services and has thus not upgrade.  Now I have upgrade my computer to Windows 7 and cannot use my Money deluxe 2000 anymore.  I like to upgrade to the new sunset Money deluxe.  I have tried the methods suggested - exporting to loose qif files and then importing them into the new sunset version.  It imports, but any transaction between 2 identical accounts (eg. chequing and saving account) when imported twice, once for each account results in duplicate transactions.  As my files are nearly 10 years old, this become impossible to edit.  I wonder if Microsoft will allow trial versions of earlier version of Money deluxe, so that I can migrate the files I have to the Windows 7 sunset version, I will be most obliged.  I tried the trial version of Money deluxe 2004 but do not recognize my 2000 money files.  If there is a version that will span the gap, I will be most grateful.  I am a loyal user of Microsoft products and hope Microsoft will help users of previous versions of Money to migrate to the sunset version with seamlessly by making previous trial version available and give a map as how to migrate from one to the other versions to the sunset will be most helpful (e.g. version 2000 to version 2003 to version 2007 to sunset version.  

Regards.

Raymond ( In Canada)

This post is old but I just happened to see it.  Don't understand questions like this.  Why don't you just let Money Sunset convert your M2000 file to the Sunset version.  That works perfectly and you don't have to do anything.  I have converted my M2000 and M2002 files to newer versions many times and it works perfectly.  The QIF export/import option is a ton of work and totally unnecessary to go from a old version to a new version.   That procedure is only necessary if you are going from a newer version back to an older version or you are trying to clean up your .MNY file due to Bills and Deposits getting badly messed up.  Since older versions of Money have no way of deleting Bills and Deposits the only way to do it is to export all your accounts into QIF files and then import them back into a new .MNY file, all at one time like Cal said.  I have done that several times and it works perfectly.  I have also used the export/import process to go from Sunset back to M2002 and that works perfectly too even in my super complex very old file.  I wrote up the procedure in the old Money forum on Yahoo groups I think, don't know where my posts are but you can probably find them in a Google search.

Regards

Bill Wood

Saturday, July 30, 2011 8:37 PM
  • Perhaps the OP is in UK or OZ and therefore doesn't have a Sunset version available to him/her?

Jim

Saturday, July 30, 2011 8:54 PM
  •   Now I have upgrade my computer to Windows 7 and cannot use my Money deluxe 2000 anymore.  I like to upgrade to the new sunset Money deluxe.  

What is the problem with using Money 2000 on Windows 7 ? Does it not install properly or just not work after you've installed it ?

Saturday, July 30, 2011 9:19 PM
  • Money 2000 includes 16-bit code and will not work on any 64-bit Windows. If you have 32-bit Windows there is no problem.

Saturday, July 30, 2011 10:26 PM
  • I have successfully reinstalled Money Deluxe 2000 on a Windows 7 64-bit installation with no problem.  It runs just fine.  I'm not sure what problems everyone else is having.
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 1:38 AM
  • Bill,

Do you know any way to covert a Money 97 file to Money Sunset?  It doesn't support such old file conversions.

Monday, January 27, 2014 12:41 PM
  • Tim,

Did you intend to reply to this old post?  To avoid confusion I will reply to the recent post that you started.

Bill Becker

Bill Becker

Monday, January 27, 2014 12:50 PM
  • One more thing.  The "All Dates" option on the MS Money Deluxe did not report on a future transaction, although the "All Dates" in MS Money 2002 did.  So even though there was no match between the transactions in my table, the transaction still existed in both accounts. Another interesting "quirk".

Friday, February 28, 2014 4:55 PM