Off Topic: How to delete pagefile.sys from an older partition in Windows Vista? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I just installed windows vista on a 4-way partitioned drive.  The drive used to have windows 98 on C:\ partition, and windows 2000 on D:\ partition.  Vista clobbered C:\, as expected, and it installed properly.  However, it is now protecting the 2GB pagefile.sys (windows 2000 registry file) on the D:\ drive.  I tried to delete the old, unused pagefile.sys using an administrator user login, and still Vista would not allow me to delete the file.  I then tried to log in as Administrator, and the Vista Administrator file explorer would not even show me the D:\pagefile.sys when I checked "show all files, including hidden and system files".  A 2GB file is too much clutter to just leave there, and I really would like to ask how to delete that unused pagefile.sys.

Anyhow, if anyone could offer me some assistance in getting rid of that file, I would be grateful.
    Thanks,
    Sam

P.S. I hope there IS a way to delete .sys files, given that some virus could potentially make tons of 50kB "x.sys" files, and users would otherwise not be able to delete them.

P.P.S. If I posted this to the wrong forum then plz recommend a better one, if you know of one.

Sunday, October 14, 2007 12:57 AM

All replies