Dictionary of Algorithms and Data Structures RRS feed

• Question

• In this site you can find the meaning of hundreds of Algorithms and Data Structures Terms, instantly!

Site : http://www.nist.gov/dads/
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 9:12 PM

Answers

• EXAMPLE :

abstract data type

(definition)

Definition: A set of data values and associated operations that are precisely specified independent of any particular implementation.

Also known as ADT.

Specialization (... is a kind of me.)
    dictionary, stack, queue, priority queue, set, bag.

See also data structure.

contd.......... in next reply
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 9:13 PM

• contd...  from previous post...........

Note: Since the data values and operations are defined with mathematical precision, rather than as an implementation in a computer language, we may reason about effects of the operations, relations to other abstract data types, whether a program implements the data type, etc.

One of the simplest abstract data types is the stack. The operations new(), push(v, S), top(S), and popOff(S) may be defined with axiomatic semantics as following.

1. new() returns a stack
    2. popOff(push(v, S)) = S
    3. top(push(v, S)) = v
    contd...........in next post
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 9:15 PM
  • contd..... from previous post.....

where S is a stack and v is a value. (The usual pop operation is a combination of top, to return the top value, and popOff, to remove the top value.) Contrast this with the axiomatic semantics definition of a set, a dictionary, or a queue.

From these axioms, one may define equality between stacks, define a pop function which returns the top value in a non-empty stack, etc. For instance, the predicate isEmpty(S) may be added and defined with the following additional axioms.

1. isEmpty(new()) = true
    2. isEmpty(push(v, S)) = false
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 9:16 PM
  • Thats all needed for algorithm contest in imagine cup..........is it so.......??
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 6:36 AM
  • I feel that it may be demanded to know these .......what u fell...
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 6:37 AM
  • In the view of Imagine Cup, this thing will act as a beginning!

But the remaining part of creative coding is left with you!
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 8:44 AM

All replies

• EXAMPLE :

abstract data type

(definition)

Definition: A set of data values and associated operations that are precisely specified independent of any particular implementation.

Also known as ADT.

Specialization (... is a kind of me.)
    dictionary, stack, queue, priority queue, set, bag.

See also data structure.

contd.......... in next reply
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 9:13 PM

• contd...  from previous post...........

Note: Since the data values and operations are defined with mathematical precision, rather than as an implementation in a computer language, we may reason about effects of the operations, relations to other abstract data types, whether a program implements the data type, etc.

One of the simplest abstract data types is the stack. The operations new(), push(v, S), top(S), and popOff(S) may be defined with axiomatic semantics as following.

1. new() returns a stack
    2. popOff(push(v, S)) = S
    3. top(push(v, S)) = v
    contd...........in next post
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 9:15 PM
  • contd..... from previous post.....

where S is a stack and v is a value. (The usual pop operation is a combination of top, to return the top value, and popOff, to remove the top value.) Contrast this with the axiomatic semantics definition of a set, a dictionary, or a queue.

From these axioms, one may define equality between stacks, define a pop function which returns the top value in a non-empty stack, etc. For instance, the predicate isEmpty(S) may be added and defined with the following additional axioms.

1. isEmpty(new()) = true
    2. isEmpty(push(v, S)) = false
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 9:16 PM
  • Thats all needed for algorithm contest in imagine cup..........is it so.......??
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 6:36 AM
  • I feel that it may be demanded to know these .......what u fell...
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 6:37 AM
  • In the view of Imagine Cup, this thing will act as a beginning!

But the remaining part of creative coding is left with you!
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 8:44 AM
  • yes i could understand let me work ....thank u
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 5:05 PM
  • its looking cool......
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 5:06 PM
  • Algorithm should be efficicent.......definetly
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 5:07 PM