Communicator and Exchange Integration RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone, we are seeing a message in Communicator 2007 R2 just after it is launched.  When the client is first started, there is an Exchange Connection Error.  The details of the error are:

Communicator is in the process of connecting to the Exchange server. This process may take a few minutes. Some features will not be available until the connection is complete.

This message appears for about one minute and then goes away however it takes this long each time the client is started.  I am wondering if this behavior is expected?  If it is expected, should it be this long or should the connection occur more quickly?

Thanks for any info.
    Mike
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:51 PM

All replies

• This is communicator connting to EWS.  This can take a while depending on Network / Server performance.  You can take a Wireshark Trace and look at the DNS queries it is making to resolve EWS / Auto Discover.

Geoff
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:29 AM
  • Thanks Geoff, I'll give this a try... I'm assuming that you either don't even see a pause as you start communicator or it's quite shorter?
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:23 PM
  • Well I found something interesting with the wireshark capture. 

I started the capture then launched communicator, after about 60 seconds when the exchange connection had finished resolving I checked the capture.  Coming from my workstation ip address I saw several tls and tcp connections immediately to our ocs server as expected, however the first attempt to communicate with our exchange system wasn't until 63.45 seconds.  Here's the gist...

No.             Time                Source                  Destination
    Previous info
    249            3.944900          my workstation      ocs server
    667            63.451784        my workstation      exchange server
    More info

I'm assuming that means that it isn't taking an entire minute to connect but that it isn't even trying to connect until a minute after launch and, at that point, it connects fairly quickly.  This seems odd that it would wait a minute to attempt to connect to the exchange system.

If you or anyone else wants to try to shed some light on this, again, it would be much appreciated.

Mike

Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:44 PM
  • Anyone have any input on the reason we might be seeing this minute wait on the connection to exchange?

Thanks again
    Monday, August 3, 2009 5:36 PM