none
Suggestion: Let's get rid of anonymous ratings on gallery contributions and please implement a mandatory combination of rating and explanatory statement RRS feed

• Question

• Hello community, hello team,

as a gallery contributor and even as a consumer of third party contributions I am heavily interested in getting/reading an qualified feedback from community members who are rating contributions. I am quite sure that the majority of the gallery contributors do have the same interest.

My point of view:

The current rating system on gallery contributions doesn't provide the possibility to get a qualified feedback. The discussion or comment section is by construction not suitable to get qualified feedback. Community members place their rating, then disappear and will in most cases never come back. It is not guaranteed that a member gives an explanatory statement for his rating.

It would be a great benefit for the contributors and for the community audience, if it would be mandatory for each rating to give a short explanatory statement for a rating.

Am I wrong? With this thread, I would like to start a discussion on this point.

Best regards,

Martin

• Moved by Tina_Tian Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:44 AM off topic (From:MSDN, TechNet, and Expression Profile and Recognition System Discussions)
    • Moved by Sean Jenkin Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:41 PM (From:Off-Topic Posts (Do Not Post Here))
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:36 AM

Answers

• Hello Ed,

which feature do you mean?

There was a feature where you rated an item and then got a review popup. It's basically exactly what's being described here. I can't find it right now, but I remember using it earlier this year.

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    It is only available in certain galleries.  The Visual Studio gallery has this feature, but the ScriptCenter does not.  I'm not too familiar with some of the other galleries, so I can't speak for them.

If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | [Twitter] @Rich_Prescott | [Powershell GUI] Client System Administration tool
    Friday, September 16, 2011 12:49 PM

All replies

• I agree with you Martin. Yesterday User:fpanchoro gave me 1 star, everything would be alright if this guy could write some words why he gave me 1 star when 171unique people selected this one busyIndicator on my website. We spend ours free time to share wtih community but some people didn't respects this
    • Proposed as answer by baron56530 Sunday, May 29, 2011 1:09 AM
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 9:15 AM
  • sorry marcin, I am not going to mark this as answer.

because this thread isn't answered unless the rating system in the gallery didn't change.

Recently, I got a 2 star rating for my richtextbox.xaml builder addin for expression blend 4. The rating came from Gokhan Erta. If you watch Gokhan Erta's profile, you will see how *active* he was in the ENTIRE Microsoft communites since november 2005, when he started his membership. So, what did he gave to the community? The answer is: NOTHING. Despite that, Microsoft enables him to make bad or even to destroy the work of other members.

More and more, I am getting really upset about such ratings from anonymous people, who's destructive ratings are possible, only because of how the rating system is built.

Monday, June 13, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Sorry, but why did you move this thread to Off-Topics?
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:41 AM
  • It appears that moderators move threads to this forum when anyone criticises anything relating to forums, gallery etc. Two of my posts were moved here by Qixin Tian today and both my posts were critical of the new recognition system.  I guess it's their way of stopping others from interacting with such posts.

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:25 AM
  • Have you seen this feature before? I thought I saw it earlier this year.
    Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:04 AM
    Owner
  • Hello Ed,

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:38 AM
  • Hello Ed,

There was a feature where you rated an item and then got a review popup. It's basically exactly what's being described here. I can't find it right now, but I remember using it earlier this year.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:04 AM
    Owner
  • Hello Ed,

in deed, it would be exactly what I suggest. But I have never seen something like that here at any microsoft community site. Unfortunately, I havn't.

This kind of feedback is quite common and I hope that it's only a question of time, that microsoft introduces something like that or something similar like that.

In the meantime, when I contribute a sample e.g. at the Expresson Gallery, I now ask the people to leave an explanatory statement in the comment/discussion section of the contribution. And it works quite nice. For example, in this contribution a member rated it first with 2 stars and I asked him for the reason why. He came back and told me, that he gave the bad 2 stars rating by mistake. So, as a conclusion, community members are willing to discuss and to review things. And I guess, that community members do only need to have a starting point to get into discussions about what's going on in the community, whatever it is.

What you described as an example, a review popup, could be one possible starting point for discussions on community activities. And I'm convinced that discussions on community activities do have a high potential to improve the qualitiy of community samples, etc.

Regards,

Martin

Friday, September 16, 2011 7:17 AM
  • Hello Ed,

It is only available in certain galleries.  The Visual Studio gallery has this feature, but the ScriptCenter does not.  I'm not too familiar with some of the other galleries, so I can't speak for them.

If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | [Twitter] @Rich_Prescott | [Powershell GUI] Client System Administration tool
    Friday, September 16, 2011 12:49 PM
  • Rich,

Great, do you have a link to the Visual Studio Gallery so we can check it out?

Also, I think a counter point is that people actually like anonymous rating. Not everyone wants to confront folks and explain why they thought something deserved a 1 or 2.

But regardless, the feature in Visual Studio Galleries helps bridge the gap and pops up an opportunity to give a reason with your rating.

Thanks!

Friday, September 16, 2011 11:49 PM
    Owner
  • Hello Ed,

I'm not sure whether people really do prefer an anonymous rating system. However ... in my opinion especially the reasons for bad ratings like 1 or 2 stars are of great interest for the contributor AND the community. Simply because to get to know what to avoid and what and how to implement features to create a high quality contribution. In my opinion, a rating system should be an important part for a learning process,

Regards,

Martin

Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:45 AM