The following request was blocked:
      Full Application Path: Unknown
      Version: Unknown
      Local Computer: 192.168.***.***:0
        224.0.0.22:0
      Protocol Name: IGMP
      Protocol Number: 2
      Traffic Direction: Outbound
    can any one tell me what it means is there some thing (malware) trying to send out information about my computer

Any ideas ?
    Friday, April 3, 2009 1:53 PM

Answers

• It's Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) using Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) to look for either routers, networked printers or other networked devices.

This protocol has been found to be exploitable on many router devices, so it's probably being blocked to reduce the risk.

Unless you're having issues with either management or operation of your router or another networked device, I wouldn't be concerned.  Few devices actually require it for operation, it's usually simply used to allow easy identification and setup initially.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, April 3, 2009 4:35 PM

All replies

• Onecare firewall will block when you try to ping other computers.

ICMPv4 is the protocal which will allow users to ping other computer. (Ping is used to check the connection between the computers)

Try to run a complete online scan. www.safety.live.com --->Full service scan.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 2:07 PM
  • To expand on onecare_Ravi's reply, you can either configure the firewall to allow ICMP outbound under the advanced firewall settings or you can ignore the log entries.
    As to what on your PC is trying to use that protocol outbound, it isn't clear from the log, but it can be any number of things. If you suspect malware, you may want to contact support. The online safety scan uses the same signatures as the installed copy, so I'd not go that route.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, April 3, 2009 3:27 PM
  • The protacal is IGMP not ICMP this is why i'm asking please look again ,  small print i know !

The following request was blocked:
      Full Application Path: Unknown
      Version: Unknown
      Local Computer: 192.168.***.***:0
        224.0.0.22:0
      Protocol Name: IGMP
      Protocol Number: 2
      Traffic Direction: Outbound
    Friday, April 3, 2009 4:04 PM
  • It's Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) using Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) to look for either routers, networked printers or other networked devices.

This protocol has been found to be exploitable on many router devices, so it's probably being blocked to reduce the risk.

Unless you're having issues with either management or operation of your router or another networked device, I wouldn't be concerned.  Few devices actually require it for operation, it's usually simply used to allow easy identification and setup initially.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, April 3, 2009 4:35 PM
  • ok ......  now I understand

thanks for your help OneCareBare

peter

Friday, April 3, 2009 4:55 PM
  • Oops. I need new glasses, apparently! I see that OneCareBear has already provided the correct answer for you.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, April 3, 2009 6:42 PM
  • Sorry... thought it as ICMP.... :P
    Friday, April 3, 2009 10:27 PM
  • I need to find out why you continue to send out a notice that my firewall is OFF.  I never turn it off.  Why would it be off?
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 1:51 AM
  • If you are receiving this notice from One Care and your firewall is turned off try the firewall repair tool - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarefirewall/thread/e67b1989-afd5-47e5-a393-3a551c7c7e60
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 2:02 AM