windows home server install - blank regional settings RRS feed

• Question

• I can't get past first question in windows home server install.  I see blank regional settings and keyboard dialog boxes and the installer reboots to the same question.  I have seen an older thread on the topic with no usable solution, even though the thread claims to have answered the question.  I'm surprised that this type of basic error still persists even after two years!

Is it hardware? Like an old dvd drive?  Is it the WHS media dvd?

A solution would be appreciated or my idea to use older equipment for WHS is flawed.

Equipment - 2004 Dell 2400, p4, ran xp fine for years, 1mb ram, new 500g PATA WD hard drive.  Have tried reformatting drive.  Tried to copy install dvd to dvd media on newer computer at 1x speed was useless (won't boot from copy).  I can install xp on the new hard drive, just fine.

Sunday, April 4, 2010 5:14 PM

Answers

• Problem resolved - An older thread on this topic gave me a hunch for something to try.  I found I had a second hard drive in the system (which the moderators on this forum did not know; in fact, I had forgotten about this extra drive).  I just unplugged the second hard drive and restarted the install.  The WHS installer correctly displayed the regional settings and keyboard settings and I was able to complete the install without any issues.  The WHS dvd media, the old dvd drive, and new, larger 500gb PATA drive works fine with Windows Home Server as it did with XP.

Bottom line - install with only one hard drive.  Add other drives later.

• Marked as answer by family pc guy Thursday, April 8, 2010 2:18 AM
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 7:19 PM

All replies

• I can't get past first question in windows home server install.  I see blank regional settings and keyboard dialog boxes and the installer reboots to the same question.  I have seen an older thread on the topic with no usable solution, even though the thread claims to have answered the question.  I'm surprised that this type of basic error still persists even after two years!

Is it hardware? Like an old dvd drive?  Is it the WHS media dvd?

A solution would be appreciated or my idea to use older equipment for WHS is flawed. 

Honestly, your idea to use older equipment for any computer is flawed (no matter what the OS is, but even more so for a server).  Do you really want to store all of your valuable/irreplaceable data on equipment that is 6 years old?

Equipment - 2004 Dell 2400, p4, ran xp fine for years, 1mb ram, new 500g PATA WD hard drive.  Have tried reformatting drive.  Tried to copy install dvd to dvd media on newer computer at 1x speed was useless (won't boot from copy).  I can install xp on the new hard drive, just fine.

I would suggest starting with a new DVD drive.
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 8:03 PM
  • For testing purposes, older hardware is fine, but as kariya21 has pointed out, it's not really advisable to use it in production.

That said, try disconnecting your server from the network while you install.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 5, 2010 2:19 AM
  • Please suggest a root cause other than "use brand new equipment".  Do I buy a new car when the check engine light is on?

I don't recall Microsoft stating Windows home server requires a dvd drive newer than a certain vintage year when they list the minimum system requirements.  Do other folks reading these threads have a suggestion other than opening the wallet for additional hardware?  Why would the first simple dialog box in the home server installer have anything to do with the a dvd drive?

My irreplaceable data is copied in more than one place; I would not trust any single machine to store it.  The comment is off the topic of installation woes.

Monday, April 5, 2010 2:30 AM
  • Thanks for your suggestion.  I've tried off and "on" the network, so that is not the root cause.  This will be a home server, so the meaning of production is not for business and less critical.
    Monday, April 5, 2010 2:51 AM
  • Please suggest a root cause other than "use brand new equipment".  Do I buy a new car when the check engine light is on?
    No, but your analogy is not akin to your situation.  This would be more like you have a 35-year-old car that won't start at all.  Would you buy a new car then (or, at the very least, replace the broken parts in the 35-year-old engine)?

I don't recall Microsoft stating Windows home server requires a dvd drive newer than a certain vintage year when they list the minimum system requirements.  Do other folks reading these threads have a suggestion other than opening the wallet for additional hardware?  Why would the first simple dialog box in the home server installer have anything to do with the a dvd drive?

My irreplaceable data is copied in more than one place; I would not trust any single machine to store it.  The comment is off the topic of installation woes.

Any piece of bad/failing hardware can cause what you're seeing.  The DVD drive is just one piece.  It could also be the RAM (or a failing power supply/flaky keyboard/etc.).  If nothing else, try installing it on a currently-working client (swapping out the drive currently in that client with the one you tried to install WHS on but failed).  If it works there, then you have an issue with your old hardware.  If not, then the only parts left are A) that hard drive and B) the OEM DVD.
    Monday, April 5, 2010 6:09 AM
  • The biggest risk is the motherboard, PSU and HD.  Electrolytic capacitors dry out over time (PSU and Mobo) and hard disks typically only have a lifespan of 3-5 years.  Though you are using a new HD so you should be okay - in the event of a failure of the motherboard or PSU you are not going to lose any data.
    --
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 10:03 AM
  • Problem resolved - An older thread on this topic gave me a hunch for something to try.  I found I had a second hard drive in the system (which the moderators on this forum did not know; in fact, I had forgotten about this extra drive).  I just unplugged the second hard drive and restarted the install.  The WHS installer correctly displayed the regional settings and keyboard settings and I was able to complete the install without any issues.  The WHS dvd media, the old dvd drive, and new, larger 500gb PATA drive works fine with Windows Home Server as it did with XP.

Bottom line - install with only one hard drive.  Add other drives later.

• Marked as answer by family pc guy Thursday, April 8, 2010 2:18 AM
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 7:19 PM
  • wow

Sunday, April 25, 2010 9:16 AM