none
send file to UWP on same machine RRS feed

• Question

• My apologies if this is the wrong forum.

<g class="gr_ gr_64 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="64" id="64">Currently</g> the goal is to have the user pick a file, then have that file displayed in a Windows Mixed Reality Headset.

Ultimately, the goal is that the file will be created in our already existing software then sent to the Mixed Reality Headset for an improved VR viewing experience.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview
    Version 10.0.17074 Build 17074

Unity development environment.

Windows Mixed Reality Headset (Acer)

We have an existing Windows Forms OpenFileDialog + TCP app that works just fine in the Unity development environment. It fails when I compile it to a UWP app. Apparently, you can't TCP on the same machine with a UWP app. So I am looking for some other method that will work. There are hints that an AppService is built for interprocess communication on the same machine, but I can't get a file chosen.

I am attempting to create an App/something that will select a file, then send that file to an <g class="gr_ gr_63 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="63" id="63">AppService</g>. I can get either one to work, but not both at the same time. This seems like it should be fairly simple, so what am I missing? 

I have tried 

• C# blank Universal Windows project. AppService works, but I can not get OpenFileDialog Windows.Win32.OpenFileDialog does not resolve, neither does Windows.Forms.OpenFileDialog but that is expected
    • C# WPF project AppService works, but I can not get OpenFileDialog Windows.Win32.OpenFileDialog does not resolve, neither does Windows.Forms.OpenFileDialog but that is expected
    • C# Windows Forms. Windows.Forms.OpenFileDialog works, but AppService does not resolve

The "just add a reference" answer does not work when the reference is not available. Unless the reference is hidden somewhere I am not recognizing.

1. No, the files cannot be built into the Mixed Reality App. 
    2. If this can be managed without an <g class="gr_ gr_55 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="55" id="55">AppService</g>, that is fine too.
    3. Any other language that works would be fine with me, except COBOL.
    4. Any and all other suggestions are welcome. 

Thursday, March 22, 2018 2:30 PM

All replies

• A moderator will eventually move this to the UWP forum since you need to know how to send a file by filename to a UWP application. The main problem probably is that UWP applications can only access files in it's specified directories unless the user selects a file explicitly. You should read about that but here is probably not much that can be done.

You have said a lot about how you have tried to solve a problem but you have not described the fundamental requirements. My understanding is that you need to be able to get files (one at a time) (that have been selected by the user) opened by the software that Acer provides for their Windows Mixed Reality Headset. That software is a UWP application. Is that much correct? You will need help from a UWP expert but one possibility would be to use something in UWP that will allow the user to allow the UWP program to use the file.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Thursday, March 22, 2018 6:22 PM
  • Hi Keith Willenson,

Thank you for posting here.

According to the description, the issue seems to be Windows Mixed Reality, you can post the issue on here.

Best Regards,

Hart

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 5:31 AM