problem merging authors RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to merge the following names (all of which appear in the publications list) without success:

Artur S. D'avila Garcez
    Artur S. Avila Garcez
    A. S. d'Avila Garcez
    Artur Garcez
    Avila Garcez
    A. Garcez
    A.S.D.A. Garcez
    S. D Artur,

all into the following, correct spelling:

Artur S. d'Avila Garcez

I'd appreciate your help!

Thank you,
    Artur

Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Artur,

Thank you for your information. We have looked into this issue. The changes you made to correct the basic info of your page will be online in a few days. Further merging changes will be made after those are on online. Please check back later. We appreciate your continuous support and feedback.

Best Regards,

Academic Search Feedback Team

• Marked as answer by zyhmina Friday, August 19, 2011 7:43 AM
    Friday, August 19, 2011 7:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Artur,

Thank you for your information. We have looked into this issue. The changes you made to correct the basic info of your page will be online in a few days. Further merging changes will be made after those are on online. Please check back later. We appreciate your continuous support and feedback.

Best Regards,

Academic Search Feedback Team

• Marked as answer by zyhmina Friday, August 19, 2011 7:43 AM
    Friday, August 19, 2011 7:43 AM
  • Really I have found similar problems with this question. There is a HUGE problem when trying to find and/or identify other researchers in your Data Base: the way its name is written, the coincidence of same names among different people or different names for the same people.
    (See 'why' in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name)

I have a request that could be useful to solve this and other related problems: defining some kind of easy-to-use "RESEARCHER ID NUMBER". This will help a lot the usability and importance of your Data Base, compared with other similar tools.

In other contribution to this forum I made this proposal: [Country-of-origin]+[unique-number].
    The unique number can be as simple as the date of birth. An example: 34-19811021, can be the ID of a Spanish researcher (34, phone country code for Spain) born the 21st of october of 1981.

This could be possible in your system?
    Please, think about it!

Sunday, August 21, 2011 12:11 PM
  • There are such ID numbers. They are called INSI and ORCID.

Vi

Monday, November 16, 2015 10:01 AM
  • I can only second the use of ORCID (people) and DOI (publications). The problem with non-US letter in names is big.

Today when you submit a paper, you often will be requested your ORCID.

So going forward your answer regarding merging search results, you could simply say to people that they should associate their publications with ORCID at ORCID.ORG and it will be updated by that.

There is a ResearcherIDbeing used, however this is mostly for US usage. At ORCID.ORG you can link your ResearcherIDand Scopus Author ID to your ORCID. In my case you find 5 times more publications via ORCID than by using Microsoft Academic Search.

Kind regards

orcid.org/0000-0002-7326-4686

Sunday, December 6, 2015 11:46 AM