Microsoft Money 2004 with XP RRS feed

• Question

• I have Microsoft Money 2004 on an old computer with XP. How do I get the data transferred to my laptop which has windows 10. I do not have Microsoft Money 2004 software on my laptop yet

Can I take the data off the old computer and put it on a flash drive and load it into Microsoft Money 2004 using Windows 10 if I download a version of Money 2004.

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 9:49 PM

All replies

• You must install Money on the new computer. Copy only the *.mny and latest *.mbf file to the new computer.

I presume you don't have the original Money 2004 install disk.  Use the install file linked to in the second post in this forum. If you are in North America, install Microsoft Windows Deluxe Sunset, and apply the patch described in the first post in this forum.

1.  On the old computer, close Money.

2.  Open Windows Explorer (WindowsKey+E is one way to do that)

Click Tools->FolderOptions->View and un-tick (remove check mark on)

the HideExtensionForKnownFileTypes.  Click OK.  That way you will

be able to see the actual .mny part of the filename.

3.  Browse to your *.mny file on the old drive.  Right-click and
    choose Copy.

4.  Paste into a USB flash drive.

5.  Move the USB flash drive to the new computer.  Copy your *.mny
    file to your Documents folder on the new drive.., Right-click and
    choose Paste.

6.  Right-click the copied file Documents folder, and choose Open.
    That should launch Money.

7.  Once inside, Tools->Settings->BackupSettings to set the backups to a
    place that exists on the new computer.  Use Browse to help find a
    place that exists.  Consider your backup strategy.  You may want to
    make the upon-exit backup to be a place in your Documents folder,
    and put your scheduled backup on a Flash drive.  That way, a hard
    drive crash does not make you lose all of your backups.

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:56 PM
  • If you follow Cal's advice, which will certainly work, you may find that you don't like Money Delux Sunset ~ MS tended to 'dumb down' Money over time whilst also introducing a few real improvements.

Whatever you do, do keep a copy of your current *.mny and *.mbf files.

Consider buying a secondhand Money 2004 installation CD through eBay, but do make sure it is for the same region (USA or UK or International English etc) as your original installation disk. If you go this way, you will need to uninstall Delux Sunset before installing Money 2004. Lastly don't touch anything earlier than 2004, none of these versions would be able to open your data files.

Teabag

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 8:40 AM
  • Consider buying a secondhand Money 2004 installation CD through eBay, but do make sure it is for the same region (USA or UK or International English etc) as your original installation disk. If you go this way, you will need to uninstall Delux Sunset before installing Money 2004. Lastly don't touch anything earlier than 2004, none of these versions would be able to open your data files.

Teabag

If you get a Money 2004 disk, make sure it actually says "Microsoft Money 2004". Make sure it does not say "Microsoft Money" and "Copyright 2004". There are a lot of people who thought they were using Money 2004, and they were really using Money 2005. A Money 2005 disk cannot be used to install Microsoft Money, because the update servers are gone.
    Wednesday, March 13, 2019 1:09 PM