Setup doesn't finish RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to install WHS on my HP workstation. I've got 2G RAM and 140G Hard drive so hardware is not an issue. However, the setup doesn't seem to finish. After I hit start after "ready to install windows home server", it would proceed with normal window install. Then WHS would restart several times. Then it no longer restart. The screen would remain black and I never got "Welcome" screen where I can setup WHS passwords. I've tried several times with no lucks.
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 5:57 PM

All replies

• Hao Zhang said:

I tried to install WHS on my HP workstation. I've got 2G RAM and 140G Hard drive so hardware is not an issue. However, the setup doesn't seem to finish. After I hit start after "ready to install windows home server", it would proceed with normal window install. Then WHS would restart several times. Then it no longer restart. The screen would remain black and I never got "Welcome" screen where I can setup WHS passwords. I've tried several times with no lucks.

Did you leave the DVD in the DVD drive the entire time?  If you remove it pre-maturely, it won't work.  Also, is this a 120 day eval, full OEM version, or did you get it through the Microsoft Action Pack?
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 5:59 PM
  • I left it there all the time. Still no luck....
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 6:00 PM
  • Hao Zhang said:

I left it there all the time. Still no luck....

Where did you get the DVD from?  (online retailer, 120 day eval from MS, MS Action Pack, etc)
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 6:01 PM
  • Bought it from company store as retail.
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 6:03 PM
  • Hao Zhang said:

Bought it from company store as retail.

Have you tried replacing the DVD drive?  Can you give more details about the hardware you are installing it on (i.e. how many hard drives do you have total, what type of drive is it, etc)?
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 6:05 PM
  • I only have one DVD drive and it never caused any issues before. The fact that I could get well deep into WHS install means DVD drive is working fine. As for my hard drive, it is just a regular IDE drive. I only have one physical hard drive. I've installed vista on this machine and had no problem. Let me know if I can provide anything else.

Saturday, November 29, 2008 6:08 PM
  • Hao Zhang said:

I only have one DVD drive and it never caused any issues before. The fact that I could get well deep into WHS install means DVD drive is working fine. As for my hard drive, it is just a regular IDE drive. I only have one physical hard drive. I've installed vista on this machine and had no problem. Let me know if I can provide anything else.

In that case, it sounds like you might have a bad DVD.  You will probably need to contact the vendor where you purchased the OEM DVD from and ask for a replacement.
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 6:21 PM