none
No Server reinstall option RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!
    My motherboard died and i had to exchange it for a new one. Since i had 6 SATA drives (and more coming), the options where few. I went for the Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=3258. When i booted the WHS and logged in i got the message Your trial period has ended.... Ok, that was coming in 15 days time anyways so i went to purcase a OEM version.

So for the exiting part. Reinstalling windows without having to add disk one by one and copy a total of 9 TB of data..... Easier said then done. Have now tried to get the Server reinstall option at least 10 times, and not been able to, only the New install apears. In the step before install method, the installation recognizes all of the 9 disk (1 pata, 6 sata drives and 2 usb 2.0) that where used in the WHS system.

Since copying all of the data will take days/weeks im eager to get the reinstall option figured out. So what to do? The Drive that has WHS installed is chosen to be the primary hard drive boot device, but its not in the IDE0 channel. All of the Sata ports are set to IDE (and as mentioned all drives are recognized)

Thanks!
    -Thomas
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:22 AM

All replies

• but its not in the IDE0 channel
    Added info: in the original installation, it wasn't in channel 0 either.

-Thomas
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:40 AM
  • Hi Thomas,
    the system disk should be in the first IDE port, , configured as boot drive on the new system, if you want to improve the chance to get a reinstall offered. Would the machine try to boot from the system or is the OS incompatible or corrupted that much, that not even a boot attempt is made?
    Since you said, your old motherboard died, it may well be, that this caused also some corrupted information on the disks, so that a server reinstall is not offered, because the expected information is not on the disk.
    In this case the method described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure is hardly to cirumvent.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:55 AM
  • Hi!
    Thanks for the reply! A few hours ago i started to reorganize the drives. The system disk is now Disk0.
    The disk's are not corrupt. I can boot WHS and get the log on screen, but when i log on the "Evaluation period has ended...." message pops up and the machine restarts.

After reorganizing the disk's the option still doesn't show.

Have also tried exchanging the system disk with a new blank one, and i still don't get a reinstall option (have read that some have gotten this option with a blank disk, when the other disks still have data on them.

-Thomas
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:14 PM
  • Hi!
    Thanks for the reply! A few hours ago i started to reorganize the drives. The system disk is now Disk0.
    The disk's are not corrupt. I can boot WHS and get the log on screen, but when i log on the "Evaluation period has ended...." message pops up and the machine restarts.

After reorganizing the disk's the option still doesn't show.

Have also tried exchanging the system disk with a new blank one, and i still don't get a reinstall option (have read that some have gotten this option with a blank disk, when the other disks still have data on them.

-Thomas
    It doesn't sound like you're booting from the OEM DVD (it sounds to me like you are booting from the hard drive where the OS is already installed).
    Monday, December 28, 2009 1:31 AM