Windows Home Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a copy of windows server 2012 from dreamspark.  Is it possible to use the home server dashboard instead of the manager in server 2012 so i can have backups and connect to the dashboard from other pcs?
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 9:41 PM

Answers

• No. The dashboard is unique to Windows Server 2012 Essentials, no other Windows Server 2012 version has it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Proposed as answer by James Xiong Friday, November 9, 2012 8:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:06 AM
    Friday, November 9, 2012 1:38 AM
  • Q: Is it possible to use the Home Server Dashboard instead of the manager in Server 2012 so I can have backups and connect to the dashboard from other PCs?

A: Impossible, WHS has its own funictioinality limitations. You can't use the server software as a DC or otherwise make sure of DCPromo.exe. You also may not join the server software to any AD domain. I think you could get it from EULA.

If you are using Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials, it can join AD domain. AD users could display in the Dashboard for management (Only for some features). If the clients is connected to the Essentials via Connect software, backup could be controlled in the dashboard.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by James Xiong Friday, November 9, 2012 8:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:05 AM
    Friday, November 9, 2012 8:44 AM
  • If you are just trying to add the centralized backup feature, you could conceivably run an instance of WHS or WSE in Hyper-V, though you would need to acquire a separate license. 
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 5:57 PM

All replies

• No. The dashboard is unique to Windows Server 2012 Essentials, no other Windows Server 2012 version has it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Proposed as answer by James Xiong Friday, November 9, 2012 8:35 AM
    Friday, November 9, 2012 1:38 AM
  • Q: Is it possible to use the Home Server Dashboard instead of the manager in Server 2012 so I can have backups and connect to the dashboard from other PCs?

A: Impossible, WHS has its own funictioinality limitations. You can't use the server software as a DC or otherwise make sure of DCPromo.exe. You also may not join the server software to any AD domain. I think you could get it from EULA.

If you are using Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials, it can join AD domain. AD users could display in the Dashboard for management (Only for some features). If the clients is connected to the Essentials via Connect software, backup could be controlled in the dashboard.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by James Xiong Friday, November 9, 2012 8:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:05 AM
    Friday, November 9, 2012 8:44 AM
  • If you are just trying to add the centralized backup feature, you could conceivably run an instance of WHS or WSE in Hyper-V, though you would need to acquire a separate license. 
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 5:57 PM