Installing VNC on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to install VNC on my WHS.  The reason for this is that all my client pcs are either Win XP or Windows Vista Home Premium.  Neither of which offer the ability to use remote desktop.  If I could install VNC on the WHS, I could remote desktop to the server and then use VNC to to access the desktop of the client pcs.  Has anybody tried this?
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 12:46 AM

All replies

• I would like to install VNC on my WHS.  The reason for this is that all my client pcs are either Win XP or Windows Vista Home Premium.  Neither of which offer the ability to use remote desktop.  If I could install VNC on the WHS, I could remote desktop to the server and then use VNC to to access the desktop of the client pcs.  Has anybody tried this?

First, installing that (or any app) on WHS is unsupported.  Instead, why not just use VNC to connect to your clients directly?  (If you've ever tried Remote Desktop to Remote Desktop, you know that it is an exercise in futility as there is tremendous lag.)
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 12:54 AM
  • As kariya has said, without a very fat pipe and an extremely low latency connection, multiple remote desktop hops are lag-tastic. :)

As an alternative, you could look into getting involved with the Live Mesh beta. That offers a means of remote desktop access even to computers running versions of Windows without full incoming Remote Desktop support.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 1:51 AM
  • Thanks Kariya21 and Ken.
    I might try that Live Mesh.
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 6:47 PM