none
Can BIOS version affect MS Access? RRS feed

• Question

• Of 12 machines tested, 4 leave MSACCESS.EXE running (according to task manager) after opening and closing a form containing a subform in a simple database.  The other 8 properly close Access after opening exactly the same database.  I have compared System Info on the 12 machines and found that the successful machines all have BIOS versions dated 9/28/11 or more recent.  The failing machines all have BIOS version American Megatrends Inc. 6.16, 3/18/2011.  The machines have a mix of 2 Core or 4 Core; Pentium, i3, or i5 processors; X64-based or X86-based system types, and 2GB or 4GB RAM -- some fail, some succeed so no separating specification except the BIOS version.

Opening then closing a form without a subform succeeds on all machines.  It is only when the subform is opened that the problem occurs.  The database is very simple - just two forms and one table.  There is no VBA code.  The database is exactly the same one copied to the desktop of each computer.

Does it make sense that the BIOS version could cause MSACCESS to mis-behave?  And how challenging is it to update the BIOS?

Thanks!

Michelle K

Friday, January 18, 2013 2:22 PM

Answers

• Just in case anyone else has this problem and gets to this question -- I think that this has been solved by removing HP ProtectTools Security Manager from the offending machines.  My little test database failed every time before removal and succeeded every time after removal.

Michelle K

• Marked as answer by mkeener Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:47 PM
    Monday, January 21, 2013 3:48 PM