Trouble with mounting backups RRS feed

• Question

• I just recenty started having problems opening/mounting my backups.

Backups are proceeding just as normal and WHS itselt does not seem to discover any problems with the backups. However, when i try to open one of them i the progress bar stops at 81%. A new dialog opens telling me "You need to format the disk in drive Z: before you can use it. Do you want to format it?" I get the same message on all my home computers which leads me to believe the problem is not on the clients.

When checking the WHS Toolkit Event Log there is nothing there to indicate any problems. All attempted backup restores are logged as successful.

I have tried to run a Backup Database Repair, and it completes without telling me there is anything wrong.

As mentioned, the backup service is running as normal completing all backups on all my home computers every night. I just cannot open any of them.

Any ideas?

Thanks -)

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:59 PM

All replies

• Try opening backups on a different computer.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:34 PM
  • Are you running the latest Powerpack and updates? Have you run "chkdsk /r" on all your disks?
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:36 PM
  • I have four computers hooked up to my WHS. It doesn't matter which computer I use to open backups. The progress bar stops at 81%

WHS is updated with all avaliable updates, including PP3.

Should I disconnect drive by drive, hook them up to another computer and run chkdsk? That could take some time. I have 9 disks connected to my WHS, 7.05 TB total, 2.0 TB free.

I have tried WHS Toolkits Server-Storage Diagnostics without it finding any problems.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:03 PM
  • It seems there's an issue with the backup database.

My advice would be to start with running chkdsk on all partitions of the server. With some luck this fixes your issue;

Logon to your server desktop, open command shell ("DOS" window), then run the following commands.

1. net stop pdl
    2. net stop whsbackup
    3. chkdsk D: /x /r 
    4. for /d %1 in (c:\fs\*) do chkdsk /x /r %1 
    5. chkdsk C: /r

System may ask you to run chkdsk at next boot (for C partition), Answer Y. Please note chkdsk may take a (very) long time to run, so you may need to be patient. Results for chkdsk on C can be found in windows application eventlog , source winlogon.

If you don't really need your backups you can also try (a lot faster then running chkdsk):

(PLEASE NOTE: you will lose all backups)
    1) Uninstall the connector software from the client(s)
    2) Connect to your server using remote desktop, then open the Windows Home Server Console on the server desktop
    3) In the computers and backups tab, remove all client(s) if this fails simply continue with the next step
    4) Open Windows Explorer and navigate to D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    5) Delete all files in this folder. If this fails please post the error in this thread.
    6) Reboot yor server
    7) Log on the server desktop (remote desktop) open the WHS Console and select Settings, Backups then run "Repair"
    8) On the client(s) reinstall the connector software from http://yourservername:55000
    9) Run manual Backup, then try mounting again.
    10) Running chkdsk on all disk in your server would still be a good idea!

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:54 AM
  • It seems there's an issue with the backup database.

My advice would be to start with running chkdsk on all partitions of the server . With some luck this fixes your issue;

Logon to your server desktop, open command shell ("DOS" window), then run the following commands.

1. net stop pdl
    2. net stop whsbackup
    3. chkdsk D: /x /r  
    4. for /d %1 in (c:\fs\*) do chkdsk /x /r %1  
    5. chkdsk C: /r

I completed step 1 - 5 (took me about 24h) without it resolving the problem.

The home computers which are connected to my WHS are Win7 64bit, Win7 32bit and Win XP 32bit. I get the same error whichever computer I use to restore backups. This leads me to believe there is nothing wrong with my clients. I have not installed any new software on the clients since backup restores stopped working. It's also worth mentioning that I've restored several backups on all of my clients prior to this.

I now realise I am not the only one experiencing this strange 81% bug. I am very dissapointed and this is now causing me to reconsider using whs alltogether. I kind of feel like a got into a car accident without the airbag deploying.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:20 PM
  • I agree with keilidh that WHS may not be a useful solution. I too have the 81% problem ("Cannot mount backup") on my Win7 Pro machine. The exact same machine booted into WinXP can open the backups so all of the suggestions of running chkdsk, repairing the database and all of the other numerous steps suggested for the server seem useless. The problem is probably with the client , not the server or its disks or database. It is disheartening and bordering on the unbelievable that this 81% problem (or 79% problem, etc.) has been going on for years and has not been fixed.

I am open to any new suggestions before I give up and remove the product from my server computer. A backup server that cannot restore is not that useful.

Thanks.
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 12:24 PM