WHS freezes RRS feed

• Question

• I am having issues with my WHS freezing for several second to a minute at a time. At this point I am at a loss as to what the problem is. I have not been able to find any helpful discussions and am at the end of my trouble shooting ability. 

My system slowed down to the point of being unusable because it would take 5-10 minutes to just login. They system seemed to be using 10% of the CPU and as far as I could tell all the hardware was still good. So, I thought it might be a major error in the OS. After a reinstall I had the same problem. I looked closer at my hardware and after doing a BIOS update to my Adaptec 2045 RAID card the system got a little better. However more often than not on large file transfers I get a message that the network connection was lost. Even after taking the card out of the computer I still have the same problem. 

So, I have reinstalled the OS on a different HHD and removed what I thought might be the offending piece of hardware. I still have the problem and don't know how to fix it.

I built my own system with the following hardware.

SuperMicro X7SLA-H mobo

4GB Corsair RAM

8 HHD's ranging from 1-2 TB

Saturday, July 17, 2010 10:34 AM

Answers

• I have 2 on my MOBO. If one might be bad does that mean that they would both be bad? 
    Not necessarily.

Or can I just use the other one and see if that fixes the problem? 

You can try it and see what happens.
    • Marked as answer by Mouseskowitz Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:26 PM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:32 AM
  • I've made a few changes to my network. I'm not sure which of them is fixing the problem but so far so good. I am using both NIC's on my MOBO and am going to a Gigabit switch. I also turned off the network traffic priority settings in my router. So, I guess if I don't come back with any more problems in the next day or two this will have been the solution. 
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:56 AM

All replies

• I am having issues with my WHS freezing for several second to a minute at a time. At this point I am at a loss as to what the problem is. I have not been able to find any helpful discussions and am at the end of my trouble shooting ability. 

My system slowed down to the point of being unusable because it would take 5-10 minutes to just login. They system seemed to be using 10% of the CPU and as far as I could tell all the hardware was still good. So, I thought it might be a major error in the OS. After a reinstall I had the same problem. I looked closer at my hardware and after doing a BIOS update to my Adaptec 2045 RAID card the system got a little better. However more often than not on large file transfers I get a message that the network connection was lost. Even after taking the card out of the computer I still have the same problem. 

So, I have reinstalled the OS on a different HHD and removed what I thought might be the offending piece of hardware. I still have the problem and don't know how to fix it.

I built my own system with the following hardware.

SuperMicro X7SLA-H mobo

4GB Corsair RAM

8 HHD's ranging from 1-2 TB

You should start by running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server.
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 3:22 PM
  • chkdsk comes back clean and at the moment I only have 2 of the HHD's attached as I am working on rebuilding the database after the reinstall. 
    Monday, July 19, 2010 2:15 AM
  • chkdsk comes back clean and at the moment I only have 2 of the HHD's attached as I am working on rebuilding the database after the reinstall. 
    Has it always been slow (or did it just start recently)?  Have you tried doing a clean install on a single drive and seeing how well it works like that?
    Monday, July 19, 2010 4:02 AM
  • No, it hasn't always been this slow. With the clean install the system is running much faster but I still have couple second periods where the computer will "hang" and not respond. The biggest problem I am having at the moment is loosing network connection with the server while moving all my files back to the server. I don't recall having this issue between other computers on the network or when streaming video or blu-ray from the server. 
    Monday, July 19, 2010 4:39 AM
  • No, it hasn't always been this slow. With the clean install the system is running much faster but I still have couple second periods where the computer will "hang" and not respond. The biggest problem I am having at the moment is loosing network connection with the server while moving all my files back to the server. I don't recall having this issue between other computers on the network or when streaming video or blu-ray from the server. 
    Hmmm, maybe you have a flaky NIC.  Have you tried replacing that?
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 3:50 AM
  • I have 2 on my MOBO. If one might be bad does that mean that they would both be bad? Or can I just use the other one and see if that fixes the problem? 
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:28 AM
  • I have 2 on my MOBO. If one might be bad does that mean that they would both be bad? 
    Not necessarily.

Or can I just use the other one and see if that fixes the problem? 

You can try it and see what happens.
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:32 AM
  • I've made a few changes to my network. I'm not sure which of them is fixing the problem but so far so good. I am using both NIC's on my MOBO and am going to a Gigabit switch. I also turned off the network traffic priority settings in my router. So, I guess if I don't come back with any more problems in the next day or two this will have been the solution. 
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:56 AM