none
Windows 7 Home Premium reinstall?

Question

• I bought an HP laptop with 7 Home Premium, and decided to switch to Ubuntu about a month later. Unfortunately, I didn't make a reinstall disc for my Windows install (i didn't have a blank disc at the time). I got done with Ubuntu and decided to switch back, but I used a pirated version of 7 Home Premium to get Windows back on my laptop (i know i shouldn't, but i dont have the $200 USD to shell out for a retail copy.)

Is there a way to use my Product Key on another install? I've done some reading, and I know that PK's are tied to the hardware in the computer, and the specific install of Windows.

Here's hoping,
    Ben Davis

• Edited by bejoe95 Wednesday, April 06, 2011 3:26 PM mistyped the title
    Wednesday, April 06, 2011 3:21 PM

Answers

• "bejoe95" wrote in message news:70f3744b-5b0a-48cf-9d46-fd5664a22580...

I bought an HP laptop with 7 Home Premium, and decided to switch to Ubuntu about a month later. Unfortunately, I didn't make a reinstall disc for my Windows install (i didn't have a blank disc at the time). I got done with Ubuntu and decided to switch back, but I used a pirated version of 7 Home Premium to get Windows back on my laptop (i know i shouldn't, but i dont have the $200 USD to shell out for a retail copy.)

Is there a way to use my Product Key on another install? I've done some reading, and I know that PK's are tied to the hardware in the computer, and the specific install of Windows.

Here's hoping,
    Ben Davis

You need to use the Key from the COA sticker to activate your installation
    Depending on the pirate copy used, you could simply use the Change Product Key link on the System Properties page to do this, or or you may need to do a full reinstall using the manufacturer's Recovery disks (a lot less than $200 - more like $20-50)
    If you post an MGADiag report of your system, we may be able to advise on the best route.
    Note that some pirate versions are riddled with malware, and should be reinstalled whatever the results of changing the Key are.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, April 06, 2011 3:51 PM

All replies

• "bejoe95" wrote in message news:70f3744b-5b0a-48cf-9d46-fd5664a22580...

I bought an HP laptop with 7 Home Premium, and decided to switch to Ubuntu about a month later. Unfortunately, I didn't make a reinstall disc for my Windows install (i didn't have a blank disc at the time). I got done with Ubuntu and decided to switch back, but I used a pirated version of 7 Home Premium to get Windows back on my laptop (i know i shouldn't, but i dont have the $200 USD to shell out for a retail copy.)

Here's hoping,
    Ben Davis

You need to use the Key from the COA sticker to activate your installation
    Depending on the pirate copy used, you could simply use the Change Product Key link on the System Properties page to do this, or or you may need to do a full reinstall using the manufacturer's Recovery disks (a lot less than $200 - more like $20-50)
    If you post an MGADiag report of your system, we may be able to advise on the best route.
    Note that some pirate versions are riddled with malware, and should be reinstalled whatever the results of changing the Key are.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, April 06, 2011 3:51 PM