vista validation error RRS feed

• Question

• You guys have created a problem.  One of your updates is really messing things up!  Not sure which one.

Facts are:

I have 2 computers that within one day of each other started the same problem: an error message that windows has been tampered with.

#1 computer is Toshiba laptop that has been used on the internet.  Has firewall and virus protection.

#2 computer is HP pavilion that has only been used on internet for downloads and updates.

Neither computer has had any hardware changes.  The only software changes has been automatic updates.

#1 computer is running vista home basic.

#2 computer is running home premium.

The only way I have been able to get them to work is by doing a restore back to a previous restore point of 2 weeks ago.

Everything I found on the website recommended to help the validation problem failed.

FYI I have turned off automatic updates until you people get your act together about this!  Bad enough you’ve built a pos operating system that has more bugs than a termite nest, but when the updates have worse bugs than the op system, well, all I can say is Microsoft is the best advertisement for switching to linux there is!

Addition as of 10/24/07: the rollback to the previous restore point seems to be holding.  I just wonder what you people are going to do if a million or so copies of Vista suddenly decide they are illegal all at once.  I am not threatening, just observing.  Here is a case of two within 24 hrs, no common connection but the automatic updates.  Seems to me you have managed to build an operating system with a built-in death wish.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 5:01 AM

Answers

• Hello Scotsman52,

We would very much like to know which update is causing your issue. Can you tell me the Updates that you installed right before this happened? At lest that will narrow it down to a smaller group of updates as possible casues.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 8:18 PM

All replies

• Just an update.  So far the roll back to the previous restore point is holding.

I just want to know what are you people going to do when a million or so copies of vista suddenly decides it is invalid.  Don't tell me it is not likely.  I have had two separate systems ultilized differently but securely decide within a 24 hr period that the software is illegal.  Seems to me you have built an operating system with a death wish that is far too willing to scuicide itself at a moment's notice.

And tell me what is more frustrating than having a genuine, paid for copy tell you it is illegal?  If it were me in your shoes, I think I would start wearing a flack jacket to work ... this keeps up and you are going to need one.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 4:06 PM
  • The rollback to the previous restore point seems to be holding up.

I just wonder what you people are going to do when a million or so copies of Vista decides they are illegal all at once.  Here are two within a 24 hr. period where the only common denominator is your updates.

A million or so angry people ain't gonna be pretty.  There is nothing more frustrating and out right maddening than to have a paid for genuine copy tell you it is illegal.  I hope you have free access to flack jackets.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 4:12 PM
  • Hello Scotsman52,

We would very much like to know which update is causing your issue. Can you tell me the Updates that you installed right before this happened? At lest that will narrow it down to a smaller group of updates as possible casues.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 8:18 PM
  •  Darin Smith MS wrote:

Hello Scotsman52,

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Yeah, that is one of the things I would like to know as well.  When I couldn't get the system to operate as valid long enough to find out what was going on, I did the restore to previous and that info seems to be part of what I lost as a result.  All I can say is that the oldest updates I have record of is 10/11/07.  That is on this machine and it is doing okay still.  On the other machine the oldest is prior to that date, 9/27 or some such.  I started having problems around the date of 10/20 or 10/21.  I remember some updates in the history for 10/20/07 on this machine.  I know a couple of windows updates came through automatically about that time.  I seem to remember some for about 10/14 on one or the other.

At first the problem was just at bootup and by re-booting, I could get past it.  Then the invalid window started popping up in the middle of a use session and even by re-booting I couldn't get it to clear.  A couple of times I rebooted in safe mode, shut down and re-booted normally and it was okay for a little while then the window would would pop up again.  When it booted up okay, I could go to the validate website location and it would pass.  After the window popped up, the website location would not validate the copy as genuine.  Just as a note, I could predict if the windows session would open fully or not by listening for a beep just after entering my user password once windows had booted to that point.  I would get the blue circle for an extended period and then the invalid popup window would appear.  It would never reach the point of the desktop showing.

The upates would have appeared between those two dates and would have been priority or reccommended ones since I have not recently downloaded any that are of the optional level.  Also they would have been recent offerings since I have been keeping fairly current and would have been no other category than windows, no office or other software type updates.  Just priority or reccommended system updates during that period.

My point primarily is that the #2 machine is the cleanest and least altered version of Vista I have.  It is the most secure and actually spends most of its time shut down.  Neither machine is continually connected to the internet and when there is a connection, it is via wireless (a weakness I know, but monitored as much as I can.)  I even use the laptop a lot with the wireless adapter disabled so no connection.  The #2 machine is enabled only for short periods to update.  In short I am cautious about my connection to the internet, use firewalls, virus checkers and anti-spyware.

Also, just for reference, the laptop is running home basic and the desktop (#2) is running home premium.  I've noticed that not all updates have matched for the two.

Granted the problem might have been with a firewall update, but both machines have re-updated since and no problems.  I have not updated windows since.

Also, when I ran the diagnostics, it looked to me as if the validate key sequence was scrambled, almost as if the first half was not read properly.  I think something was causing the validate section to begin reading at the wrong location?  Fortunately the restore to previous worked!

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 9:38 PM