Can I specify initial photo orientation? RRS feed

• Question

• ICE is such a nifty application.

I take my photos in portrait mode. ICE processed these as landscape making the rotation as necessary. Sometimes ICE gets confused and produces unexpected output. Upsidedown panorama or half upsidedown and half not. The answer for me is simply rotate the raw photos.

It would be nice if the next version had a parameter of what to expect: portrait or landscape. Actually this would specify the number of rotations to be applied to the raw image before normal ICE processing. With values of (0,1,2,3) clockwise all possibilities are covered.

Keep up the good work with ICE.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 1:33 PM

Answers

• Nearly all cameras and smart phones mark each photo with metadata indicating the camera's orientation when the photo was taken.  ICE respects this orientation metadata when it is present.  If your camera is not providing orientation metadata, or if your camera sometimes provides incorrect orientation metadata, you should rotate your photos using photo management/editing software before opening them in ICE.  You can use Windows Explorer, Windows Live Photo Gallery, Adobe Lightroom, or countless others.

Also note that if ICE produces a panorama that is tilted or upside-down, you can always use the orientation tool (the cube in the toolbar) to adjust the rotation before exporting/saving.

Thanks!

Eric Stollnitz, Computational Photography Group, Microsoft Research

Friday, November 7, 2014 5:01 PM