hidden folders/files are not sync'ed RRS feed

• Question

• It seems that hidden folders/files are not sync'ed. If one makes a file "hidden" using the explorer properties tab, it will then be removed from the Live Desktop. Maybe this is a feature, but I find it quite annoying, since, just name one example, subversion folders contain .svn directories won't be sync'ed properly.

(It might sound weird that one wants to sync subversion folders; but I do this to keep uncommitted changes sync'ed between machines. Currently I am using FolderShare for this purpose.)

Will this "feature" be changed in the future?
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 7:07 PM

Answers

• Hi derkuci,

Yes, you are correct--hidden files and folders are not sync'ed today.  In the future we plan to allow users to enable/disable the filters on files that are/are not synchronized.  We just didn't get around to doing this for the Tech Preview.

I hope that helps.
    Thanks,
    Richard
    Richard Chung [ Live Mesh ]
    • Proposed as answer by jason_ruz Wednesday, June 18, 2008 1:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by derkuci Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:23 PM
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 8:53 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi derkuci,

Yes, you are correct--hidden files and folders are not sync'ed today.  In the future we plan to allow users to enable/disable the filters on files that are/are not synchronized.  We just didn't get around to doing this for the Tech Preview.

I hope that helps.
    Thanks,
    Richard
    • Proposed as answer by jason_ruz Wednesday, June 18, 2008 1:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by derkuci Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:23 PM
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 8:53 PM
    Answerer
  • It is good enough to know that the "fix" is in the todo list. Thanks!
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:24 PM
  • Richard (or whomever might be manning the ship), is there an update on when these filter configuration options might make it in? Unless I'm missing something, they're not in the beta. I'm doing development work with subversion as a back end and I sync my work and home pc's. For this to work, I have to sync (usually) hidden .svn folders between the two PC's, otherwise I can't update and submit properly. I've gotten around this for now by liberal use of attrib -h, but it is a pain because I have to do this each time a new folder is added. I'm sure there's some reason for hidden file/folder syncing being off by default (I'm not sure what that would be, but I'm sure there is), however it would seem extremely limiting not to allow this to be configurable. I know of a number of programs that store necessary metadata in hidden files. I'm all for not syncing office temporary files, but a blind exclusion of all hidden files seems, well, blind.

Also, it sure would be nice to be able to have include and exclude filters in general. Something as simple as a "Sync All Folders" or "Sync Selected Folders" option would be okay, however, an advanced, pattern/wildcard based exclude mechanism would be wonderful. This would especially be nice for developers again. I don't want to sync my build directories any more than I want to version them. Something like the svn:ignore property...
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 2:28 AM
  • Hello ptyork,

No, there's no update on this.  You're right, the option is not available in the Beta.  If you haven't already, please post a suggestion to the wish list thread, since we do tend to prioritize features based on the number of requests.

I totally get where you're coming from.  :)

Richard
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 5:49 PM
    Answerer