Ringtone Bug & Suggestion: Ringtone Management and Caller Groups RRS feed

• Question

• I know it doesn't seem like much, but I'd really like to have the above mentioned.

I'm not going to get into the slowness of the OS/Device (waiting 2-3 seconds to be able to answer the phone because the app hangs, etc), or general usability.  Overall, it's about what I was expecting.  I have an HP iPAQ that actually runs better from about 4-5 years ago, but what can you do?

Phone is the T-Mobile Wing (guessing 6800-like?)

Anyway, here are my suggestions, and I feel I'm probably not alone here:

1) Add Caller Groups - My previous Nokia, Motorola, and Samsung phones all had seperate groups you could add contacts to.  This was helpful for many reasons.  Main reason was ringtone management (which I'll get into more later).  It was simple to assign a ringtone to a group, then add x number of contacts to it.  For instance, I have a set ringtone for coworkers.  My phone rings at 3am with a work-related ringtone, I know I need to answer, or not answer ;-).

2) Ringtone Management - I figured out how to assign a ringtone for EVERY call, but took some time to realize that I could go into my contacts and assign it there per contact.  You can go to the contact and link a ringtone to the contact, but you cannot do the opposite.  I copied an MP3 to my phone and wanted to assign it to several contacts (enter the caller group requirement), but had to do it one by one.  In the 'right-click' menu (for lack of a better word), there's the option to assign the ringtone to everyone, so it would be nice to have the option here to assign to one (or more) contacts.  Perhaps bring up a list of all contacts and allow you to (un)check each contact and link that ringtone to many contacts.

3) Ringtone Storage - I installed a MicroSD card and put my MP3's on it thinking I could use a virtually unlimited amount for all my contacts until I was faced with the requirement to copy all ringtones I wished to use into the My Ringtones folder.  Oh who quickly that minute amount of storage on the phone fills up.  Please add the ability to play ring tones directly off the MicroSD card.

**IMPORTANT BUG INFO**
    After I spent hours assigning various ringtones to my seemingly endless contact list, I was satisfied with my selections.  However, I decided to change my primary ringtone, so I copied a new MP3 file over and moved it into My Ringtones.  I selected it to be used as my ringtone and next thing I knew, EVERY SINGLE ONE I SET PREVIOUSLY WAS GONE!

I believe this is a bug.  If any contact has a pre-defined ringtone, it should stay that way until changed directly and not be over-written.  Again, Caller Groups would greatly reduce the time needed to go back and reset my ringtones, but that functionality is not there.

My boss has a treo, which I'm debating on getting because of my frustrations.  MANY functions I think would be nice in my Wing are missing, but are present in the treo.  He even has the ability to assign ringtones to callers that are not in his contact list.

The phone's nice and all, but I may go back to my samsung until there are some updates that address the above issues.  I understand hardware limitations, but 200 MHz and very little RAM/ROM, c'mon.  I think it could have easily been 400 MHz and have at LEAST 128 MB of RAM/ROM, but you can't just update the hardware in a simple fasion.

Oh, and I got the phone on a smokin deal because the previous owner/user hated the functionality/usability so much.  I was excited, but am starting to see why he gave it up.

**EDIT**
    And tell Bill we need more than 640K...  =D
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:51 PM

Answers

•  cougar694u wrote:
    Thanks!

Any chance we'll be seeing an update via Windows Update to support any of this?

My main concern is the 'Set as Ringtone' function overriding all custom ringtones for specific contacts.

I can't answer that but I am sure that the folks that work on all this look at the suggestions that folks give.  I would not be surprised to see some of them incorporated in future updates.

Monday, October 22, 2007 5:10 AM
  • Well, I have a T-Mobile Wing and all my ringtones are in the storage card (folder My Documents/My Ringtones) and they

play wonderful. Can you explain that?

Sunday, November 11, 2007 6:22 PM

All replies

• Great suggestions Cougar694u!!

Friday, October 19, 2007 4:35 AM
  • Thanks!

My main concern is the 'Set as Ringtone' function overriding all custom ringtones for specific contacts.
    Friday, October 19, 2007 11:59 AM
  • One more thing I want to add.  Have a way to view contacts on the SIM card ONLY; Outlook ONLY; or both.  I have about 170 numbers on my SIM card.  I transfered them to the phone so I could consolidate (several numbers per contact) and the phone lists EVERYTHING.  I now have over 300 contacts listed because it has duplicates.

Maybe the functionality's there and I just don't know it, but that would be nice.
    Monday, October 22, 2007 1:48 AM
  •  cougar694u wrote:
    Thanks!

I can't answer that but I am sure that the folks that work on all this look at the suggestions that folks give.  I would not be surprised to see some of them incorporated in future updates.

Monday, October 22, 2007 5:10 AM
  • Well, I have a T-Mobile Wing and all my ringtones are in the storage card (folder My Documents/My Ringtones) and they

play wonderful. Can you explain that?

Sunday, November 11, 2007 6:22 PM
  • Nice!  I had never thought about copying the folder structure.  I copied it and moved my ringtones over and it works great.

Maybe Microsoft should have an option to place in 'My Ringtones' on either the phone's storage or the storage card and create the folder structure on the fly if it doesn't exist.
    Sunday, November 11, 2007 9:30 PM
  • We just got our Wing today, in re: duplicate contacts, you can open the SIM contact, then menu, and delete SIM contact.

In re: default ringtone overriding custom tones setup... if you go into Settings>Phone>and change ringtone here, it doesn't affect custom setups.

Hope this helps!!

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 5:21 AM
  •  rerackff5 wrote:

We just got our Wing today, in re: duplicate contacts, you can open the SIM contact, then menu, and delete SIM contact.

I understand that, but I keep them on the SIM card because I have multiple phones I use.  I don't like to carry the Wing while dirtbike riding Smile

rerackff5 wrote:

In re: default ringtone overriding custom tones setup... if you go into Settings>Phone>and change ringtone here, it doesn't affect custom setups.

Correct, I knew about this, but the other route should not overwrite all previous custom ringtones.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 7:15 PM
  • I have also Identified this bug with Windows Mobile 6.1 and reported it to Microsoft Australia twice, one by email and once by phone.
    I have actually identified two issues:
    1. Cannot use Ringtones off a Storage Card, only on phone memory.
    2. Cannot use the "MP3D" file format, used by ringtone providers.

When I rang MS Australia, I was quoted $80aus to get a MS consultant to hear my problems with Windows Mobile 6.1 and possibly fix them, I didn't have a spare $80aus at the time.

When I rang Telstra Australia, they offered me an Apple IPhone to replace my Windows Mobile 6.1 Device (a Mororola Motosurf A3100). I am considering this, but I would rather wait for a MS Update to Windows Mobile 6.1, as I kinda like my A3100 and Windows Mobile.

Maybe it's time for Windows Mobile 6.2?
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 5:04 PM