Rename automatically created AD groups RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed a CRM 4.0 development environment and chosen the option to have the group names automatically generated. However, this is causing a problem for our alerting system and I've been asked to investigate whether the group names can be changed to a standard naming convention.

Does anyone have any practical experience at changing group names and, if so, can they assist please?
    Friday, November 20, 2009 4:21 PM

All replies

• Wow,
    Why you would like to rename these groups ?
    It is highly not supported but when you will try to understand mainly configuration db (MSCRM_CONFIG) it is possible.
    You have to edit all enties in DBs (write a search for tables and rename them) but be aware that if you will apply new Update Rollup will cause a new problems.

My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    Friday, November 20, 2009 4:46 PM
  • I definately do not recommend renaming the groups.  However, you can move them to a different OU.  After moving them to a different OU I'd recomment rebooting the crm box, just in case.
    Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Friday, November 20, 2009 4:56 PM
  • Thanks to both.

The reason for asking is to assist the group that monitors changes to AD objects. The GUID appended to the group names during the automatic group creation is causing this team aggravation and I thought I'd ask.

Slightly disappointed that the group name is so tied into the database. If the app used the SID, then the groups could be renamed without issues.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 4:55 PM
  • Hi,

We had a client in a similar situation.  The workaround we used was to create an 'CRM Groups' ou and move the groups there.  This OU was then excluded from the group monitoring software.
    Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:52 PM