Nothing in Add/Remove Programs dialog RRS feed

• General discussion

• Regular discussion rooms give you achance to respond directly to the writer.  Stephen, I read your post about unistalling One Care, when I get to add or remove programs, no programs show up.  Isn't that nice?
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 10:27 PM

All replies

• dzemko;

You're not in a chat room with Microsoft, you're posting to a peer forum that's supported by volunteers:

How to ask a question

Regards, Dave
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 3:45 AM
  • Regular discussion rooms give you achance to respond directly to the writer.  Stephen, I read your post about unistalling One Care, when I get to add or remove programs, no programs show up.  Isn't that nice?

How to Uninstall Windows Live OneCare

If nothing appears in add/remove programs you may have other issues that need to be addressed - unrelated to OneCare.
    Perhaps this will help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266668
    or http://www.technipages.com/xp-addremove-programs-doesnt-work-programs-list-is-blank.html

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, June 8, 2009 1:44 AM
  • Hi Steve,
    Thanks for your quick response.  I used the One Care Cleanup.exe download which I saw listed on one of your pages, and it really seemed to have restored the computer to previous capabilities.  However, i have another problem.  Unrelated, I guess.  When I put a DVD in the computer, it plays the movie without sound.  Do I need another program like something from Corel or the Sony Cineplay, or is there a codec which should have been installed with this system, which is Windows XP Home Edition, versions 2002, service pack 02?  I have windows 2000 on my Sony Vaio and it plays DVDs just fine in Media Player.  I think there was something omitted in the factory installation. I used the drivers and software disk to reinstall the drivers and it said Installed Sigma tel audio program maintenance, but the computer still will not play DVDs with sound.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 6:40 PM
  • Hi Dave,
     I clicked on the ask a question box, and added what I knew about what was going on, with the computer I am using. I am definitely not a peer, as most folks seem to be more knowledgable than I. It seemed that all the problems pointed back to the time when I added One Care to this computer.  As humans are prone to doing, we tried to think back and refer to notes, remember all the passwords, remember all the days that email failed, remember all the changed passwords, all the System Restores that failed, it was quite a mess.  The last straw was, I must say, when I clicked on Add or Remove Programs and there was nothing in the list.  I waited for a while.  Nothing showed up.  Stephen Boots said to click REMOVE, under currently installed programs, and there were no currently installed programs.  So we moved on to more drastic measures.  I had three options.  I appreciate more than anybody will know, this chance to ask a question and all the responses that were available for researching.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 6:56 PM
  • I'm glad that you were able to remove OneCare, but it seems like the PC has other issues since it included the lack of a display of installed programs.
    I have no idea why you are not getting sound from DVDs if you are getting sounds from other programs and you have reinstalled the drivers.
    I suggest that you pursue this with the PC manufacturer (Sony, for example) or the Microsoft public newsgroups for XP and/or Media Center. http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:30 PM