CRM 2011 - Workflow failing to send emails RRS feed

• Question

• I have a workflow triggered on CREATE.

It is running as the Owner of the Workflow.

It is sending emails out but they are failing because I am using the Entity Owner in the From field.

The workaround is to log in as each user and set "Allow other users to send emails as me" option.  All is now well.  However i don't like it at all.

It seems that you can't get access to the Workflow Owner within the Send Email Worrkflow Step,

Can I get this Workflow Owner into the From field dynamically?  Presumably I can't leave the From filed blank and let CRM fill it in?

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 12:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Gordon,

Here the issue is in Email routing systems. It will never allow to me to send email behalf of someone x unless you select that option on me.

So system will try to send an email from the user whoever is on From field.

Best way to achieve this you can give that option (“Allow other users to send emails as me”) to administrator and set admin to From Field

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer". Many Thanks -Bhautik Desai xRM Technologies
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 11:05 AM

All replies

• You using email router or CRM outlook client to send?

You can always use email router, then configure outgoing profile, and then in CRM users outgoing profile select "Email router".

thanks

regards,
    Toong Yang
    http://eastoceantechnical.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:10 AM
  • This is purely from within the working of a Workflow.  I am using the Owner of a record as the From field.  The Workflow is Owned by the System Administrator

At the mement I am having to set every user to allow other users to email on their behalf.

This will be because the System Administrator is creating the email and sending it on behalf of another user.  I would have expected the System Administrator to have the power to send these emails as anyone.

In the past I have always hardcoded the From field to be the System Administrator.  However this causes problems when you package Solutions and install them on another network as the the user will be different.

I though I could use Owner in the From field as a way to make installing the solution slicker.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 9:52 AM
  • Hi Gordon,

Here the issue is in Email routing systems. It will never allow to me to send email behalf of someone x unless you select that option on me.

So system will try to send an email from the user whoever is on From field.

Best way to achieve this you can give that option (“Allow other users to send emails as me”) to administrator and set admin to From Field

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer". Many Thanks -Bhautik Desai xRM Technologies
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 11:05 AM
  • That is the conclusion I came to. 

Seems wrong that you can't user System Administrator to send emails as other people without having to change each user's setting. 

One solution would be if CRM provided th option to run the workflow as the Owner of another record OR if there was a global setting to allow a System Admin to send as others without their consent.

I can see why this could be seen as a risk though.

I will go beck to my old method of hard coding the System Administrator into the From field.  The downside is that the when the Solution is migrated to another network, all Workflows will break where there is an email being sent.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 12:24 PM
  • Yes,

I used to store "System Admin" in custom entity called "system settings"

and using workflow custom activity i used to read the information run time.

you can do the same. so when you change the environment you need to put the new system admin in setting entity, your workflow email will read the value of system admin from setting entity

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 12:57 PM
  • So from what i have been reading, there is no way to enforce this option with Security Policies or any other option?  Seems strange that you need to enable it on each client manually, what if you have 500 users? The owner of my workflow has 'Allow other users to send emails as me' enabled, but unless the checkbox below is ticked on every client computer the work flow fails to sen emails.

Why has it been built this way?

Thank you,

Fulton.

• Edited by Fultz Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:07 AM Update
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:14 AM