none
Need Older Copy of File . . . Where Can I Find It? RRS feed

• Question

• I need a previous version of a file that is saved in the documents folder on my WHS.  Does WHS backup the files that are kept on the machine that it is installed to?
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:41 PM

Answers

• mjwlaz said:

I need a previous version of a file that is saved in the documents folder on my WHS.  Does WHS backup the files that are kept on the machine that it is installed to?

1. First check if you have previous versions for WHS shares (just right click any WHS share on a client, properties, check if the previous versions tab is available and if a previous version of the date you need is present.  IF no previous versions are present of the correct date you're out of luck.
    2. If a previous version of the correct date is present try and open it, then COPY a previous version of any file to your client. If this works it's your lucky day! If you can see the previous version but can not open / copy files  please read How to regain access to previous version of files in WHS shares carefully and if you trust yourself you can use these instructions to regain acces to the inaccessible previous versions.
    3. If the file for which you need a previous version is NOT in a folder that is currently shared you only need to the share the folder to make the previous version available.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 8:02 PM

All replies

• mjwlaz said:

I need a previous version of a file that is saved in the documents folder on my WHS.  Does WHS backup the files that are kept on the machine that it is installed to?

The only supported method would be to pull the file from a backup you (hopefully) previously ran on your server shares.  If you've never backed up your shares, there is one other possibility at retrieving a previous version of a file.  It involves a feature called Shadow Copies (which is part of the underlying OS, Server 2003).  However, it's not supported on WHS (and some pre-built home servers don't even have it enabled by default).  Please see How to regain access to previous version of files in WHS shares for a rather lengthy, in-depth read on how you might be able to get it back.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:52 PM
  • Thank you for the reply.  I have no backup and I can't find an "fs" folder anywhere.  Am I missing something or am I out of luck?
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:57 PM
  • The fs folder is on drive C: locally on the server.
    So you would have to login locally or via Remote Desktop (using account Administrator and the console password).

Or is this server a one disk system? In this case all data is only stored on drive d:.

In this case while logged in on the server click Start/Run and enter
    \\server\d$ 
    (This is, because you need to access Previous Versions on Server 2003 via a share.)
    Right click on one of the folders, select Properties and check, if you see the Previous Versions tab. If yes, you have still a chance, that older versions are there (usually in the hidden folder DE\shares).
    If not, then the files are lost.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 9:22 PM
  • Note that the previous versions functionality is turned off at the factory for the HP MediaSmart Server, unless you have changed the appropriate registry entries to turn it on. However, in a one-disk server, if they are turned on, they will be fully functional; there's no need for the link that kariya21 posted. In a multi-disk server, you will need to follow that procedure.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:19 PM
  • The WHS is home built - not an HP MediaSmart server.  It's also not headless and I have VNC setup so I can get all around the server.  I configured it with a C: and a D: partition.  D is where the data is.  The system was built using two HDDs in a RAID 1 configuration.  I looked through the DE folder today which means I must have found the 'fs' folder and not realized it.  I found a version of the file that I was looking for but it was over a month old.  I was kinda hoping there'd be something from yesterday (for example), though I don't recall looking specifically in the folders that have been suggested.  I will have another look.  How many previous versions are stored in the DE folder and how often are they over written?

Thanks for the hope,

MJ

Friday, January 23, 2009 2:08 AM
  • To use "previous versions" functionality, open the server share that the file is in from any client PC. Right click on the file, select "Properties", and look for a "previous versions" tab. Click on it if present; it should show you the previous versions available. If no previous versions are listed then you won't be able to recover an old version of the file.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 23, 2009 4:50 AM
  • mjwlaz said:

1. First check if you have previous versions for WHS shares (just right click any WHS share on a client, properties, check if the previous versions tab is available and if a previous version of the date you need is present.  IF no previous versions are present of the correct date you're out of luck.
    2. If a previous version of the correct date is present try and open it, then COPY a previous version of any file to your client. If this works it's your lucky day! If you can see the previous version but can not open / copy files  please read How to regain access to previous version of files in WHS shares carefully and if you trust yourself you can use these instructions to regain acces to the inaccessible previous versions.
    3. If the file for which you need a previous version is NOT in a folder that is currently shared you only need to the share the folder to make the previous version available.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 8:02 PM