Recommended WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to set up a backup system for our church.  We have 4-5 desktops and a couple of laptops that need to be backed up.  There is also a need to share some files.  We need security so that each backup can only be accessed by the owner and need security so that the shared files can only be accessed by specific pc's/users.  I am using WHS for my home and think it probably would work for this case (thoughts?  is there something better to use for this application?).   If I go with WHS, I want to use WHS 2011, but am not sure where to go to get a setup (my home system is the hp lx195 - I know HP is out of the WHS biz).  Are there any good ready made devices in the US?  If not, any suggestions on what I need to build one? 

Thanks....I know a bit about computers, but am fairly new to the NAS scene.

David

Thursday, September 8, 2011 4:51 PM

All replies

• ... We need security so that each backup can only be accessed by the owner ...

Windows Home Server doesn't support this. In order to open backups and (potentially) restore files, two things must be true:

• The user performing the action must be an administrator on the local PC from which the operation is being performed, and
    • The user must have the password for the server console.

Assuming the user meets both of these criteria, he or she can open any backup, for any computer joined to the server.

As for shared files, access is granted based on users defined on the server. A user (from any PC able to reach the server's shares, not just a PC joined to the server) will be authenticated when accessing a share on the server. If the user's local (on the client) credentials match credentials on the server, the user receives the access granted that server user. If not and the Guest account is active on the server, the user receives the access granted the Guest account. If the Guest account is not active, and the user's credentials don't match a user on the server, then the user will have no access.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 5:22 PM