I can log into Dashboard but not Launchpad.. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I just set up a new WHS2011 Server.  The first client I installed the connector software to, backed up and restored prefectly.

But for some reason when the client reboots it asks for a user name and password.  I cannot log in for the life of me.  But even more strange is that, if I bring up the Dashboard it lets me log in with the same password without a problem.

How do I get the launchpad to log me in or disable the popup when Windows starts?

Thank you,
    Jay

Friday, June 22, 2012 8:28 PM

Answers

• There is a "master password" that is used with WHS 2011 to log in with the dashboard, or to connect a new client. Technically, this is the user "Administrator" on the WHS 2011 server machine.

In addition, you have to define users on the WHS, via the dashboard. Usually, you set both userid and password to the same values as on your client machine. These users control access to the server shares. These users als also used to login with the launchpad. Technically, you could use the user "Administrator" along with the master password, but it's not the idea of the dashboard to do this.

Regards, Martin

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:19 AM
    Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:07 AM
  • When you say "I am the one that set it up", do you mean that you have also (in addition to installing the WHS 2011 software) explicitly created a username/password for yourself on the server?

Because, until you do that, you won't be able to log into the Launchpad...

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/manage-user-account-2

• Edited by Geoffc1 Sunday, June 24, 2012 1:45 PM
    Sunday, June 24, 2012 1:44 PM

All replies

• You can disable the Launchpad at startup but that requires logging into it! Are you trying to log in as a User or Administrator?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, June 22, 2012 10:57 PM
  • There is a "master password" that is used with WHS 2011 to log in with the dashboard, or to connect a new client. Technically, this is the user "Administrator" on the WHS 2011 server machine.

In addition, you have to define users on the WHS, via the dashboard. Usually, you set both userid and password to the same values as on your client machine. These users control access to the server shares. These users als also used to login with the launchpad. Technically, you could use the user "Administrator" along with the master password, but it's not the idea of the dashboard to do this.

Regards, Martin

Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:07 AM
  • If everything is done through the dashboard..   technically, what's the purpose of LaunchPad?

Saturday, June 23, 2012 9:53 PM
  • The Dashboard is intended to be used by the server administrator. The password for the server is used as authentication of the administrator.

The Launchpad is intended to be used by other people for access to the Shared Folders and other user-oriented functions. The authentication is a person's username and password. These username/password pairs will have been set up by the Administrator on the server using the Dashboard.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 9:31 AM
  • I see the difference now. 
    But I still can't log into the launch pad using any combination of username and password. and i am the one that set it up.
    Sunday, June 24, 2012 1:32 PM
  • When you say "I am the one that set it up", do you mean that you have also (in addition to installing the WHS 2011 software) explicitly created a username/password for yourself on the server?

Because, until you do that, you won't be able to log into the Launchpad...

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/manage-user-account-2

• Edited by Geoffc1 Sunday, June 24, 2012 1:45 PM
    Sunday, June 24, 2012 1:44 PM
  • I did not do that.  When installing the server i was only asked to create a password. I then installed the connector software on the clients and left the user names the way they are.

I will take a look at the link you provided.  Thanks for the tip.
    Jay

Sunday, June 24, 2012 2:35 PM
  • Yup, the usernames and passwords you are thinking of exist on the client PCs. You need to also create usernames and passwords for accounts on the server.

It's easiest if you use the same username/password pairs for the server accounts, then everything starts to get more transparent...

Sunday, June 24, 2012 3:02 PM