Live Meeting Autoconfiguration RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to understand the Live Meeting Autoconfiguration process in more depth. My current issue is I cannot connect using Livemeeting Autoconfiguration as it does not resolve my external sip domain = sipap.********.com. I realise this is a nonstandard external sip domain address, but the sip.********.com is used on the internal domain. The client was previously using Microsofts online service but now has decided to go on premise. How does the Live Meeting client resolve the Acces Edge Server? srv rcord, domain name???? We need the Autoconfiguration to work for annoymous connections
    Point of note - Spilt DNS cannot be entertained.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 11:48 AM

Answers

All replies

• Live Meeting uses the same process and settings as Office Communicator.  If you aren't using split DNS and the SRV records used for internal client connections are externally available, odds are your external LM clients are attempting to sign-in to the internal Front-End server instead of the Edge server, hence the failure.

Take a look at this article for a closer look at the login process: http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=14

Secondly, check out this blog for assistance on configuration in your scenario:
    http://blogs.technet.com/gclark/archive/2009/05/02/ocs-dns-automatic-configuration-when-split-dns-is-not-an-option.aspx

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by ShaneJohn Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:39 AM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 12:31 PM
  • So live meeting uses the SRV record to locate the access edge. It does have some fall back capability to do just A record searches. but in those cases it is looking for sip.domainname.com on port 5061. And since the default setup in the Access edge is for clients to connect on 443 this almost never works when you are outside. That is the behaviour I have noticed. now I have not done traces since the last release but from posts I have seen lately it appears it is still the same.

and if they are you sip.domainname.com internally you can still use it externally. however that will not fix the live meeting issue externally. That SRV record is a must.

Mitchr |MCITP:Enterprise Server Admin, Messaging |MCTS:OCS with Voice Achievement |MCT
    • Marked as answer by ShaneJohn Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:39 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ShaneJohn Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:40 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ShaneJohn Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:40 AM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 12:33 PM
  • Okay, I understand. But the new version of Office Cummicator R2 keeps looking for a valid DNS entry but why doesn't the Live Meeting client use the same process? or is there an updated live meeting client?
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:11 AM
  • Both clients will look for a server name if the SRV record is not found this is by default. However the MOC client will try on multiple ports where as the live meeting client only seems to try the server name on 5061.

thanks.
    Mitch Roberson |MCITP:Enterprise Server Admin, Messaging |MCTS:OCS with Voice Achievement |MCT
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:33 PM