Receiving email asking to verify email account information or Windows Live account will be cancelled... RRS feed

• General discussion

• For weeks I have been receiving an email from the Windows Live Team requesting information be updated in my windows live account, however, I use this account regularly.  This email goes to my junk mailbox, so I sent it as PHISHING mail and sent an email to the feedback link on my account page asking if this was a legitimate email.  Today (weeks later) I am still receiving this email it is from ladawn1606@hotmail.com which is in parenthasis.  The subject line is the following:   Alert!!! Windows Live Team™ Warning Verify Your Account Now To Avoid It Closed (VX2G99AAJ)‏.

My question is how do I follow up to make certain this is a legitimate email.  It is asking me for too much information such as my username, password, date of birth, and country or territory.  Please advise.

Marlene
    Friday, July 17, 2009 7:21 PM

All replies

• Hello Marlene. It is a phishing scam so do not respond to it or send any personal information. Delete the e-mail and do the same with any furure requests which ask for personal information. If the e-mail were from the Windows Live team it would be sent from an @microsoft.com address and you would never be asked to update your account information via e-mail.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Friday, July 17, 2009 9:08 PM