"Server Reinstallation" to dissimilar hardware? RRS feed

• Question

• What if I am using a machine as my WHS and there is a non disk related hardware malfunction that I do not want to fix (bad mother board, PSU, Sata Controller, etc)

Can you migrate all the data disks over to a different system, and then run a "server reinstallation" and it will rebuild the tombstones, etc just like if it were being done on the same box?

Is this supported?   Has anybody tried doing this?

Thanks...
    Sunday, April 6, 2008 2:03 PM

Answers

• The answer is that yes, you can move your disks to new hardware and perform a server reinstallation. As long as all disks are present and visible to setup, you should be able to do a reinstallation.

In theory, Colin is correct; you aren't strictly permitted to change out hardware other than replacing a motherboard with the same model, or the manufacturer's recommended replacement model if the original isn't available. In practice, you shouldn't have much trouble reactivating, though you'll probably have to call Microsoft to do so.
    Sunday, April 6, 2008 6:15 PM

All replies

• You could, it would call for a new HAL, which server 2003 might well handle gracefully.

However, two points:

This is a server which could be holding all your most important information. Do you really want to put your trust in what could be a flawed system.

You will  break your OEM licence. You are only allowed, by the licence, to have the software on the one server. Replacing a major item, like a motherboard, with a completely different one, is a breach.

The second point could well be overcome, if Microsoft accept your reasons why you've changed it - the re-registration will have to be by phone - and I reckon they would. But, there is no way that I would run any server that has been rebuilt like that, let alone one holding personal information.

Colin

Sunday, April 6, 2008 4:59 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, but I don't think my question was answerd

I am not saying the hardware is flawed.  Let's face it over time stuff happens.   Things break.    I could have a brand new machine I make my WHS server.    If the motherboard goes south in 18 months (as an example) it may be cheaper\more cost effective to just grab a new 300$ machine (which would be faster) than put money into an older rig.

The Server reinstallation will reinstall 2003 on the new Hardware so I do not think the HAL would come into play.   I am just wondering if on the new hardware if all the data disks are present would Home Server be able to rebuild the storage pool.

I really like this storage pool concept for expanding my data, but I also do not want to be held prisoner to a specific hardware set due to it.

I do not think MS would give me an issue if I called and wanted to license a new box due to a hardware issue.  I am sure they wouldn't want you doing this every few months, but as an exception to the rule.

I have a ton of music and dvd data (2TB) and I work in the storage industry so I am pretty paranoid about protecting it.   I currenty have all my data replicating (via 3rd party software) to secondary hard disks.   The problem with this is I have a ton of drive letters to maintain, and it is not all that efficient as I have a lot of free disk space across multiple drives I am not utilizing.   The drive pool virtualization is much more efficient use of storage space I think.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 5:10 PM
  • The answer is that yes, you can move your disks to new hardware and perform a server reinstallation. As long as all disks are present and visible to setup, you should be able to do a reinstallation.

In theory, Colin is correct; you aren't strictly permitted to change out hardware other than replacing a motherboard with the same model, or the manufacturer's recommended replacement model if the original isn't available. In practice, you shouldn't have much trouble reactivating, though you'll probably have to call Microsoft to do so.
    Sunday, April 6, 2008 6:15 PM
  • Ken and Colin.  Thank you both.   I will mark thread as answered.
    Sunday, April 6, 2008 6:32 PM