Console & Remote Desktop Fail (Shared Folders are still okay) RRS feed

• Question

• I had a warning message 'Data error (cyclic redundancy...)' and did a chkdsk /r, as per the Lara Jone's FAQ. (I didn't see Ken's post about checking all drives at once, unfortunately.)

After rebooting, I can access the Shares folders from either laptop but neither will do a Remote Desktop Connection or connect via the WHS Console. It tells me to try again later, etc.

I'm totally stuck!

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. The file conflict was an FLAC track from a CD rip which still plays okay.

Sorry, forgot to say that it's WHS v1 running all the updates on a newly (re-)built system. It's been fine for a month or two. (It has SyncBack & Serviio installed, nothing else.)
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 10:35 AM

Answers

• Fun, fun, fun.

Toolkit on the server was causing freezing every time I tried to Refresh or Details. (It also showed a constant connection error - even though at last everything connects okay.) I was having to reboot the server to 'escape' log on so I've uninstalled the annoying Toolkit Add-In, though it's still on my laptop.

The original problem was a file conflict - long time ago! - so I had a look into that. It seems it was Serviio (not a disc error) because it struggled to keep up with folder changes; Serviio was still trying access files from deleted folders. (It could take many days to catch up with library changes - a week would often not be enough, even with a Forced Refresh.) So I uninstalled Serviio too and am trying Mezzmo now. I've got a 15-day evaluation so we'll see how we get on.

So, for now, everything works (less the irritating Toolkit, now dispensed with). Not impressed with the lack of MS help at all - many threads are going un-answered here. It didn't use to be like that. (Perhaps MS were taking advantage of the likes of Ken and Olaf?)

Anyway, I'm done. Been a very annoying journey. I hope it helps someone else!

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. Olaf's 'How to...' was most helpful, though not the whole nine yards in my case. Still, I'm marking this as the answer with the link: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/15a9e657-54a3-453f-b0e7-1efa59b7feea

• Marked as answer by ChrisOfTheOT Wednesday, May 25, 2011 12:29 PM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 12:25 PM

All replies

• ... It's just done the automatic client backups too. I hadn't expected that. Still can't access the server though.

Cheers,

Chris

Saturday, May 21, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Reinstalled the WHS Console software: no different.

'This computer cannot connect to your home server. (etc.)',

or using Remote Desktop Connection:

'This computer can't connect to the remote computer. (etc.)'

Please help. Please...

Chris

P.S. Just had a message saying that the backup service is not running (icon is red now). Both laptops can sitll access the Shared Folders on Server though.
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 11:18 AM
  • This is really cheasing me off. I've spent days trying - Googling & searching here - and there are dozens of connection related treads. I have tried everything from everywhere, including Olaf's 'How to...' post here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/15a9e657-54a3-453f-b0e7-1efa59b7feea.

I have:

Reinstalled/deleted the Connector software from the server folder, three times

Ran the Toolkit Connector Troubleshooter many times but it says I have an old version of Connector running on both laptops (I do not - I've reinstalled it from the WHS Software folder & the MS site link)

Pinged the server (replies 4 times with no errors in 0ms, which sounds impressive to me!)

ipconfig /all which looks fine to me (!?) - matching servers/gateway, etc. (whatever they are)

Edited host file to match static server IP address

Sworn under my breath and got told off by my wife

The only thing I have not tried is checking the IIS configuration on the server because, of course, I cannot log onto the server...

And there seem to be very little help from MS around here. Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhh...

<thud>

Chris

P.S. So I cannot log onto the server by Connector or Remote Desktop, but can still access the Shared Folders. (The backup problem only lasted a few minutes as is fine now - not that I can check them, of course...)

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 5:14 PM
  • Well, desperation forced me to think of crashing the server by turning it off. I hate that but since I couldn't get in... I'd forgotten about the little rest switch, which seems slightly gentler than removing power, so I hit the reset. This has enabled me to log again (hurrah, hurrah, hurrah!).

But the Console has just frozen (after I hit Refresh in Toolkit 1.1). Now it just says Not Responding and I can't shut the Settings screen down. Great fun this...

Chris

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 7:37 AM
  • Fun, fun, fun.

Toolkit on the server was causing freezing every time I tried to Refresh or Details. (It also showed a constant connection error - even though at last everything connects okay.) I was having to reboot the server to 'escape' log on so I've uninstalled the annoying Toolkit Add-In, though it's still on my laptop.

The original problem was a file conflict - long time ago! - so I had a look into that. It seems it was Serviio (not a disc error) because it struggled to keep up with folder changes; Serviio was still trying access files from deleted folders. (It could take many days to catch up with library changes - a week would often not be enough, even with a Forced Refresh.) So I uninstalled Serviio too and am trying Mezzmo now. I've got a 15-day evaluation so we'll see how we get on.

So, for now, everything works (less the irritating Toolkit, now dispensed with). Not impressed with the lack of MS help at all - many threads are going un-answered here. It didn't use to be like that. (Perhaps MS were taking advantage of the likes of Ken and Olaf?)

Anyway, I'm done. Been a very annoying journey. I hope it helps someone else!

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. Olaf's 'How to...' was most helpful, though not the whole nine yards in my case. Still, I'm marking this as the answer with the link: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/15a9e657-54a3-453f-b0e7-1efa59b7feea

• Marked as answer by ChrisOfTheOT Wednesday, May 25, 2011 12:29 PM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 12:25 PM