Office validation issue RRS feed

• Question

• I won't complain about the service, because there isn't any.  I have sent two inquiries to the help desk which promised to reply within 'Two working days,' but as usual have had nothing.  The gist of my inquiry was that I bought my fully loaded computer 10 years ago from a company called Emagine.  It had MS office on it and they have since confirmed that it was genuine and payed for.  I have used it happily for the last ten years without problems and my PC has never been in for repair.  I always had trouble downloading active X and that issue was fixed or went away about 8 weeks ago.  Last month I received the world-famous and extremely annoying pop-up which I felt was a violation of my privacy.  I was sure MS doesn't want to be payed twice for the same application so I obeyed the instructions on the panel.

Later a dialogue box appeared asking me to 'click here' for validation of my software.  I did this and was relieved to see, 'This is a validated copy of MS Office,' (or words to that affect).  However the malicious pop up kept reappearing.  Now it is doing a countdown to some sort of doom scenario and some of my my menu and tool bars keep disappearing.    I certainly will not be paying again for software I bought ten years ago.  I don't know what to do next, but I earn my living as a writer and losing my job due to interference from MS would send me racing to the lawyers.  Tell me how to fix this.

Darryl
    • Split by JeniferA Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:25 PM Office validation issue
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 1:23 AM

Answers

• Hi Dar-El

Thank you for visiting the Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) program forum. I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing. We have seen numerous issues from customers who were provided a Volume License Key (VLK) on their computer that has either been blocked by Microsoft or generated by a fake product key code generator. OGA currently provides checks for these types of product keys and prompts the user to notify them of this situation. More invalid product keys are being identified daily and OGA is constantly refreshing its database with these newly identified product keys and immediately blocks them. Below I have extracted a portion of the MGA results to share. 

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage - 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.7.111.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

As a rule, VL editions should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Dar-El if this is a corporate system please ask your systems administrator to logon to the eOpen site (
    https://eopen.microsoft.com/EN/default.asp) and confirm what your company’s assigned VLK. If this computer is not a corporate system please uninstall Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage. 

You have a couple options available. First you should have been given the option to "Get Genuine" when you failed OGA validation. Here you may purchase a OGA Kit from Microsoft and become genuine. Next you can take the software back where you made the original purchase and either request a genuine copy of Office or return your monies. Next I would recommend for you to file a piracy report by following the directions @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy. Please locate "Reporting Piracy" in the upper left corner.

Take care and thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:01 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:01 PM

All replies

• Dear Darryl,
    Office versions prior to Office 2007 are not subject to validation. If your version of Office is truely 10 years old, I am very surprised you are seeing this message. Please follow the steps below to run the MGA diagnostic utility.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

The information provided by this utility will allow us to diagnose the issue you are having and provide steps to resolve it.

Regards,
    Jenifer

Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:30 PM
  • Hello Dar-El,

Thank you for visiting our OGA Forum :-). Can you please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and provide us with your results? This will allow us to analyze what you are experiencing. Next we may begin to formulate an answer for what you are experiencing. 

Thank you and talk with you soon.

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    Friday, April 10, 2009 11:48 PM
  • Thanks, as you can see I have a Genuine copy, but the pop-up is still there and my PC has slowed to a crawl, which accounts for my tone.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-YHY7J-YX8VB-XR8MF
    Windows Product Key Hash: tTHbeb5avQAdrvN87T2J7dBXHNw=
    Windows Product ID: 55276-013-7119055-22193
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {613A3730-44C8-4C29-A360-DE6254DE2163}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 114
    Version: 1.7.105.35
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{613A3730-44C8-4C29-A360-DE6254DE2163}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-XR8MF</PKey><PID>55276-013-7119055-22193</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-602162358-1202660629-1708537768</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Gateway                        </Manufacturer><Model>"                              </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Intel Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>WL81020A.15A.0004.P03.0004041700</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20000404000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>390D3BAF01846056</HWID><UserLCID>0C09</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>E. Australia Standard Time(GMT+10:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="1.7.105.35"/><File Name="OGAVerify.exe" Version="1.7.105.35"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>39476F84C4B4004</Val><Hash>4iCnywwNW1w4s9ukTIwGMGxyGic=</Hash><Pid>54185-640-0000025-17455</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="10" Result="114"/><App Id="16" Version="10" Result="114"/><App Id="17" Version="10" Result="114"/><App Id="18" Version="10" Result="114"/><App Id="1A" Version="10" Result="114"/><App Id="1B" Version="10" Result="114"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 10F56:Gateway, Inc|11061:Gateway, Inc
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Saturday, April 11, 2009 2:28 AM
  • Hi Dar-El

Thank you for visiting the Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) program forum. I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing. We have seen numerous issues from customers who were provided a Volume License Key (VLK) on their computer that has either been blocked by Microsoft or generated by a fake product key code generator. OGA currently provides checks for these types of product keys and prompts the user to notify them of this situation. More invalid product keys are being identified daily and OGA is constantly refreshing its database with these newly identified product keys and immediately blocks them. Below I have extracted a portion of the MGA results to share. 

OGA Data-->

As a rule, VL editions should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Dar-El if this is a corporate system please ask your systems administrator to logon to the eOpen site (
    https://eopen.microsoft.com/EN/default.asp) and confirm what your company’s assigned VLK. If this computer is not a corporate system please uninstall Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage. 

You have a couple options available. First you should have been given the option to "Get Genuine" when you failed OGA validation. Here you may purchase a OGA Kit from Microsoft and become genuine. Next you can take the software back where you made the original purchase and either request a genuine copy of Office or return your monies. Next I would recommend for you to file a piracy report by following the directions @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy. Please locate "Reporting Piracy" in the upper left corner.

Take care and thank you,

Stephen

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:01 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:01 PM
  • I really have no idea what all that means.  I don't even know what a registry key is - and before you start with more tehcnobabble, am not interested. As for pirates, Caribbean or otherwise; that's just plain silly. 

I bought this old computer about 8-10 years ago when I lived in Sydney and it has worked perfectly until now.  Please get your spyware off my computer and out of my genuine personal & private copy of Office.  I have no intention of returning to Sydney to track down the previous owner or tele-harrasing whoever works there now, if they are still in business. I bought the PC in good faith and have had ten years use out of it.  I do not intend to buy it again as it has already been payed for.  It has correctly been validated as genuine, so show me how to get it validated again - without further cost to me (I barely survive on a pension) - and I'll be on my way happily writing my pros in the time I have left on earth.

Please cease this home invasion.
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:31 PM
  • Dear Darryl,
    Office versions prior to Office 2007 are not subject to validation. If your version of Office is truely 10 years old, I am very surprised you are seeing this message. Please follow the steps below to run the MGA diagnostic utility.

The information provided by this utility will allow us to diagnose the issue you are having and provide steps to resolve it.

Regards,
    Jenifer

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Just a correction, Office 2007, 2003 and XP (aka Office 2002) are subject to validation.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, April 20, 2009 6:49 PM
  • Hello Dar-El,

The installation of Windows XP Professional on your Gateway computer is being reported by the mgadiag utility as being Genuine :-)

However, the same report is showing that the installation of Office XP Professional with Front Page that is currently on your computer was done with a widely pirated Volume License.

Is it possible that a previously installed copy of Office that was genuine was overwritten by the current nongenuine copy?  This could have happened if you took the computer to a shop and they had to repair Office but did not have the right CDs to do the repair.

It is virtually impossible for your Gateway computer to have come brand new from Gateway with this pirated installation of Office XP.  Reading your last post I get the impression that you may have purchased the computer second-hand from an individual or shop.  If there is no possibility that Office was repaired as I just mentioned, then it is likely that such individual or shop installed this pirated copy of Office XP, and such installation was done illegally.  For comparison, a legal purchase and installation of Office XP would not include the "Front Page" web publishing software (there were no retail editions of Office XP that included Front Page), and a legal retail purchase or legal OEM purchase of Office XP would be accompanied by genuine Microsoft program CDs and a Certificate of Authenticity.  Do you have the genuine Microsoft Office CDs and the Certificate of Authenticity?

There will be no validation of this installation of Office XP, as it is nongenuine pirated software.

Your options at this point include:

1.  Do nothing.

2.  Uninstall the pirated installation of Office XP with Front Page and...

a.  Purchase and install a retail edition of Office that meets your needs from a local or online trusted retailer

b.  Participate in the Office Genuine Offer and purchase a discounted copy of Office 2007

c.  Install an "open source" Office-clone program suite such as OpenOffice

d.  Convert to online office productivity applications such a Google Docs
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, April 20, 2009 7:15 PM
  • I have to say the first option sounds the best, yet I am oddly facinated by the mystery (almost enough here for a book).  In answer to your questions:

I bought the computer from my brother-in-law who was a director/shareholder of the company, called Emagine who owned the software (he owned the PC).  It was about nine years ago (2000, 1 or 2), either way, according to MS advice it should not be subject to these validation issues.  It is a good old machine and has never been in for repair.  But it has always upgraded to new versions online.  After one upgrade just this year, I had some trouble with Active X which suddenly stopped working and when I tried to diagnose it, the message said there was a problem with one of the registry keys.  I didn't really know what that meant but I spent a lot of time trying to fix it.  Using MS troublehsoot, I dowloaded programs called subinacl.msi and install-flash-player, among others none of which worked.  But eventually the problem went away. I never did discover what happend.  It was about two weeks later, during one of MS's, 'security' (I now know whose security MS was worried about) that the spy-star popped up. 

The company, Emagine, are a computer software design company with about 100 staff who develop programs for Telcos and would certainly have only bought and installed legally bought software.  In fact they were working on a major deal with MS or one of the big software outfits.  My brother-in-law no longer works there but is damant that their directorship would never have allowed any pirate copies - and why would they? They turn over many millions and it wouldn't be worth the effort or risk.  In fact we all agree that booltlegging or pirating as you call it is a bad and unfair thing.  But so is penalising innocent bystanders who get caught in the crossfire and from what I gather there are many millions of people like me who are suffering similar intrusions and can't get help from MS.  You ought to cut them a bit of slack before they start organising.  Google is already stacked with MS hate sites which are likely to develop in to a serious negative-marketing force over time.  Don't be fooled into thinking MS will always be omnipotent, all empires fall.  Benevolent customer service and flexibility are crucial for longevity.

So to reiterate:  My copy of Office is genuine and about 8-10 years old, has not been for repair and is not a pirate copy or bootleg.  It was bought and paid for by my brother-in-law and legally sold to me.  It has worked perfectly for years until I had a corrupted file (or maybe a virus) which has something to do with active X.

Instead of just the do-nothing option, I would prefer that you tell me how to get the spyware out of my Office and get my copy working properly, at no further cost to me and with proper functioning updates.

Waiting for benevolence,

Darryl
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:01 AM
  • Hello Dar-El,

The installation of Office on your computer is an installation of a Volume Licensing edition of Microsoft Office.  This particular edition, Office XP Professional with Front Page, was only available in Volume Licensing editions.  Volume Licensing of Mirosoft Office applications software is dependent upon a valid, current Volume Licensing Agreement between Microsoft and the organization using the software.  Also, Volume Licenses are never properly sold to individuals, and the licenses purchased by organizations are themselves never saleable or transferrable to individuals.

Furthermore, the Product Key used to install the current copy of Office is a widely pirated product key.

The current installation of Office may indeed have been on the computer when it was sold to you by your brother-in-law.  That fact is immaterial and irrelevant to the discussion.  You cannot buy something from someone who has no legal right to sell that something.  And it is not uncommon at all for mid-size businesses such as the one you mentioned to use unlicensed or mislicensed software.  Sometimes it is on purpose, and sometimes it happens because the IT staff is not as knowledgeable about licensing matters as they should be.

In contrast, when individuals purchase Microsoft software at retail, they buy retail licenses for the software. The licenses are perpetual licenses that are by definition not subject to expiration.  Such licenses are accompanied by End User Licensing Agreements (EULA), a Certificate of Authenticity, and by genuine (now-) hologrammed media containing the purchased software enclosed in attractive retail packaging.  The End User Licensing Agreement that accompanies the software typically specifies that the software can be sold or transferred to other individuals.

Unfortunately, as far as we can tell, you do not have genuine Microsoft software because you do not have the EULA, you do not have the genuine media, you do not have a Certificate of Authenticity, and you do not have the retail packaging.

Please uninstall the pirated software.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:39 AM
  • It is not and never was pirated.

I bought my first gateway from a department store along with a retail package of MS Office and I signed the EULA.  The motor in the PC blew up and I replaced it by buying my brother-in-law's tower.  So I am actually a licensed holder of Office and my name would be recorded as such.  It would be under the name Darryl Fry.  Further, MS clearly state that pre 2007 version are not subject to genuine intrusions.

It seems there is no resolution to be found with Microsoft.  Not to worry though I am content to use this one the way it is as it has all my business, personal and economic files on it.  I will consider purchasing a new laptop soon because this PC is too old and slow and I resent the intrusion of Big Brother.  According to other blogs, my recent experience is shared by about 10 million eople worldwide so I will follow the exodus to Apple.

I guess we all mourn the departure of Bill Gates now.  Microsoft has reverted from a (very) profitable service company with excellent customer service to old-style corporate America - the one that doesn't know where the tripple bottom line is, the one that is in so much in trouble now.  The Guantanemo Bay of computer companies.  It is really about attitude, which accounts for the global resentment so prevalent today.  No-one will mourn the end of the American Empire but sadly it will end in chaos, as did those before it.

Farewell.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 12:14 AM
  • It is not and never was pirated.

I bought my first gateway from a department store along with a retail package of MS Office and I signed the EULA.  The motor in the PC blew up and I replaced it by buying my brother-in-law's tower.  So I am actually a licensed holder of Office and my name would be recorded as such.  It would be under the name Darryl Fry.  Further, MS clearly state that pre 2007 version are not subject to genuine intrusions.

It seems there is no resolution to be found with Microsoft.  Not to worry though I am content to use this one the way it is as it has all my business, personal and economic files on it.  I will consider purchasing a new laptop soon because this PC is too old and slow and I resent the intrusion of Big Brother.  According to other blogs, my recent experience is shared by about 10 million eople worldwide so I will follow the exodus to Apple.

I guess we all mourn the departure of Bill Gates now.  Microsoft has reverted from a (very) profitable service company with excellent customer service to old-style corporate America - the one that doesn't know where the tripple bottom line is, the one that is in so much in trouble now.  The Guantanemo Bay of computer companies.  It is really about attitude, which accounts for the global resentment so prevalent today.  No-one will mourn the end of the American Empire but sadly it will end in chaos, as did those before it.

Farewell.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 12:14 AM
  • Hello Dar-El,

To address your point, "Further, MS clearly state that pre 2007 version are not subject to genuine intrusions" I am pasting in a snippet from the OGA FAQ located here:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#ID0EVH  The Microsoft person who posted that is in error.

"Office validation

A:

No. For users of Office XP or later versions, validation is required to access certain downloads from the Microsoft Download Center, Office 2007 templates from Office Online, and the Office Update service. For users of earlier versions of Office, validation is not required.

A:

Supported products include Office XP and later suites, as well as individual Office 2002 and later applications (such as Word and Excel)."

You wrote:  "I bought my first gateway from a department store along with a retail package of MS Office and I signed the EULA.  The motor in the PC blew up and I replaced it by buying my brother-in-law's tower.  So I am actually a licensed holder of Office and my name would be recorded as such."

If you purchased a retail copy of Office XP at the same store you purchased your original Gateway computer, then you can easily remedy the current nongenuine situation by uninstalling the pirated installation of Office XP Pro with Front Page, restart the computer, then use the genuine Microsoft Office discs you received with your retail purchase to install your genine copy of Office XP.  If you have your Office XP CDs and the Certificate of Authenticity (which for a retail purchase would be on the exterior of the retail box) but may have misplaced the Product Key, then Microsoft may be able to issue you a new Product Key.

Please understand that at the moment the computer has a nongenuine installation of Office XP.  Microsoft's OGA system does not know anything about the copy of Office XP on your shelf, it only knows what's installed on the computer.  If you purchased a retail copy of Office XP, yes you are a legal license holder, but the final step has to be taken--you have to install that legal license on your computer.

By the way, if you do purchase a Mac computer, you'll be interested Office 2008 for Mac:  http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/Office2008/default.mspx
    Friday, April 24, 2009 10:49 PM
  • Thank you Dan :-).... Have a great weekend.

Stephen
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 12:12 AM
  • Well Dan.  I figured you couldn't resist mentioning Office for Mac (or was it gloating?) - which is of course the American malaise that I was referring to in my preamble. MS's temporary monopoly is annoying, but easily avoided if/when enough voices are raised.

I've moved house three times since I bought Office, the original discs are long gone. But thanks anyway, it's been educational and almost fun.  Enough already, I have other things to do.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 7:10 AM
  • I am SO sick of this! 

It's NOT just Office 2007+ that requires validation - I'm still running XP - or trying to!

I DO have genuine software - purchased from Microsoft!  Or are you involved in counterfeit license sales.

Every time I enter the product key, it is confirmed - by Microsoft - as genuine!

Yet every time I re-open an office product, I'm told - YET AGAIN - that it's not genuine!

I do need to replace my pc and although I've never liked Macs I'm seriously considering anything to escape MS' so-called customer support!
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 4:25 PM
  • Hello 123purplerabbit,

Recently we have seen an unusual number of posts from valued Microsoft customers like you, reporting that their longtime Genuine and Validated installations of Office XP have suddenly become not activated.  Some customers have told us that the problem started after they used "registry fixer" and/or "file-cleaner" -type software programs.

In most cases, following Method 2 of this MS KB article takes care of the situation:  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/903275

Please follow Method 2, then when activated, please visit www.microsoft.com/genuine to validate.

Post back to let us know if it worked for you. :-)

If it did NOT work, please follow these instructions:
    In order to recieve the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click the "Continue" button, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into your post.
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 4:51 PM