Data file outlook 2003 error RRS feed

• Question

•  

I recently bought a new computer with Windows XP Service Pack 3 and also Office 2003.  After installing Office, I could not get either Outlook or OE to work.  Whenever I try to open Outlook 2003 I get an error "Unable to open your default email folders.  Outlook could not start because a data file to send and receive mail could not be found.  To add a data file, such as a personal folder file, double click the Mail icon in Windows Control panel"

When I follow the previous directions and click on the Data Files button the only choice to add is "Business Contact Manager Database" and when I add that I get "An exception occured while trying to run

c:\windows\system32\shell32.dll,control_Rundll"C:\progra~1\common~1\system\msmapi\1033\mlcfg32.cpl",@0"

I have run the Office CD to repair Outlook, but it still does not work.  I also have Outlook Express version 6.00.2900.5512(xpsp.080413-2105).  I am able to receive emails through this, but I can not open them (so I have it it preview mode).  I also can not send new emails. 

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Monday, September 22, 2008 2:38 AM

All replies

• Exact same here.  Please help!

Wednesday, October 8, 2008 5:35 AM
  • same thing here with a few differences:

When I click on NEW OUTLOOK DATA FILE , there is no option that I can select over there. (totally blank) I tried to put a copy of my outlook.pst back into C:\Documents and Settings\<profile>\Application Data\Microsoft\Office but same thing. reparing office with the CD didn't worked also Sad

anyone having an idea?

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:43 PM
  • Same issue.  My new Lenovo laptop came with Windows XP and office 2008 (trial edition) installed.  I removed office 2008 it and reinstalled office 2003.  Microsoft's software quality seems to have plumeted in the last few years.

Here is my error messge.  Can anyone help me...

an exception occurred while trying to run "c:\windows\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\System\MSMAPI\1033\MLCFG32.CPL",@0"

Friday, December 26, 2008 6:10 PM
  • Hi There,

I have faced the same issue and solved it as follows:

Uninstalled Business Contact Manager 2007

Uninstalled 2003 office

Uninstalled Office 2007 Online Registration

Also uninstall all office 2007 or 2003 features

Restart and reinstall 2003. All should work fine
    Monday, December 29, 2008 1:10 PM