CRM2011: Expanding Report Snapshot Preview Pane Errors RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting an error in CRM2011 on our production systems when trying to expand the reports preview pane to view snapshot history information:

This error is occuring both in our Live organisation on the production server and also in a vanilla sandbox organisation that I created on the production server and the error occurs on both on-demand and scheduled reports both with and without snapshot histories.  However, the error does not occur on our development servers.  Both of them are running the same version of CRM (Rollup 6).

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

The following is the contents of the downloadable log file:
    Unhandled Exception: System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[[Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk.OrganizationServiceFault, Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk, Version=5.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35]]: System.Web.HttpUnhandledException: Microsoft Dynamics CRM has experienced an error. Reference number for administrators or support: #9C75115EDetail:
    <OrganizationServiceFault xmlns:i="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/xrm/2011/Contracts">
      <ErrorCode>-2147220970</ErrorCode>
      <ErrorDetails xmlns:d2p1="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/System.Collections.Generic" />
      <Message>System.Web.HttpUnhandledException: Microsoft Dynamics CRM has experienced an error. Reference number for administrators or support: #9C75115E</Message>
      <Timestamp>2012-04-16T11:20:05.633976Z</Timestamp>
      <InnerFault>
        <ErrorCode>-2147220970</ErrorCode>
        <ErrorDetails xmlns:d3p1="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/System.Collections.Generic" />
        <Message>System.NullReferenceException: Microsoft Dynamics CRM has experienced an error. Reference number for administrators or support: #AE28E0C5</Message>
        <Timestamp>2012-04-16T11:20:05.633976Z</Timestamp>
        <InnerFault i:nil="true" />
        <TraceText i:nil="true" />
      </InnerFault>
      <TraceText i:nil="true" />
    </OrganizationServiceFault>

The following is the ASP.Net warning from the CRM Server Application Event Log:
    Event code: 3005

Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.

Event time: 16/04/2012 12:20:05

Event time (UTC): 16/04/2012 11:20:05

Event ID: 293b4e8eaf8947acb3490a55e3a35c74

Event sequence: 146248

Event occurrence: 7

Event detail code: 0

Application information:

Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/2/ROOT-1-129790188048916805

Trust level: Full

Application Virtual Path: /

Application Path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics CRM\CRMWeb\

Machine name: GFSCCRM02

Process information:

Process ID: 27800

Process name: w3wp.exe

Account name: GFSC\CRMAP

Exception information:

Exception type: NullReferenceException

Exception message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Pages.Grids.PreviewPage.ConfigurePage()

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Controls.AppUIPage.OnPreRender(EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Request information:

Request URL: http://crm/gfsccrm/_grid/preview.aspx?id={C195AFB1-C01E-DE11-80F9-002264043419}&type=9100

Request path: /gfsccrm/_grid/preview.aspx

User host address: 10.0.0.163

User: GFSC\aritchie

Is authenticated: True

Authentication Type: Negotiate

Thread account name: GFSC\CRMAP

Thread information:

Thread ID: 58

Thread account name: GFSC\CRMAP

Is impersonating: False

Stack trace:    at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Pages.Grids.PreviewPage.ConfigurePage()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Custom event details:

Fault bucket , type 0

Event Name: CRMmanaged

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: 5.0.9690.1992

P2: w3wp

P3: Microsoft.Crm

P4: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.;Hash='-1922114944'

P5:

P6:

P7:

P8:

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

C:\Windows\Temp\tmp6CC0.tmp

These files may be available here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_5.0.9690.1992_27e5225152cbaf8a2157bbe78c41b120261ad011_cab_10ce6ce8

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: 1d7f2811-87b6-11e1-a130-00215aaf6ac7

Report Status: 4

Exception generated at: 16/04/2012 12:20:05
    Error Type: System.Web.HttpUnhandledException
    Error Message: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.
    Error Stack Trace: System.Web.HttpUnhandledException (0x80004005): Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

InnerException:
    Error Type: System.NullReferenceException
    Error Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Error Stack Trace: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Stack Frame:

at MainApplication.Application_Error(Object sender, EventArgs eventArguments)
    at EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at HttpApplication.RaiseOnError()
    at ApplicationStepManager.ResumeSteps(Exception error)
    at HttpApplication.System.Web.IHttpAsyncHandler.BeginProcessRequest(HttpContext context, AsyncCallback cb, Object extraData)
    at HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr)
    at ISAPIRuntime.ProcessRequest(IntPtr ecb, Int32 iWRType)

Exception Data:
    1: Key type: System.String, value: ASPIMPERSONATING
    1: Value type: System.String, value:

The following is from the CRM Trace Log corresponding to the time of the error in Outlook:

at ErrorInformation.LogError()
    at ErrorInformation..ctor(Exception exception, Uri requestUrl, Boolean logError)
    at MainApplication.Application_Error(Object sender, EventArgs eventArguments)
    at EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at HttpApplication.RaiseOnError()
    at ApplicationStepManager.ResumeSteps(Exception error)
    at HttpApplication.System.Web.IHttpAsyncHandler.BeginProcessRequest(HttpContext context, AsyncCallback cb, Object extraData)
    at HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr)
    at ISAPIRuntime.ProcessRequest(IntPtr ecb, Int32 iWRType)
    >MSCRM Error Report:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Error: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.
    Error Message: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.
    Error Details: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.
    Source File: Not available
    Line Number: Not available
    Request URL: http://crm/gfsccrm/_grid/preview.aspx?id=%7bC195AFB1-C01E-DE11-80F9-002264043419%7d&type=9100
    Stack Trace Info: [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
    [HttpUnhandledException: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.]
    at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:30 PM

All replies

• Any update on this? I have the very same issue. This is kind of annoying.
    Friday, May 4, 2012 8:55 AM
  • Same error here. Updates?
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 1:07 PM
  • I haven't been able to find a solution to it yet and haven't had much time to investigate it.

Once I have time I'll open a support case with Microsoft to seem if they have a solution.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 1:31 PM
  • Gentlemen,

would you be willing to share your config? Even after spending quite some time within the tracelogs, I am still not too sure which of the rare clues should be followed for some extra examination (CRM? SQL?) - CRM sourcecode would be helpful :)

Running:

W2K8R2 SP1 fully patched

CRM 2011 UR8 (non-IFD)

SQL 2012 Enterprise (!)

all on one (virtual) machine - Hyper-V (W2K8R2 SP1)

Thanks in advance for any hints!

Best,

Daniel

Friday, May 25, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Hello,

Did you ever get this resolved. We are getting the same errors. Currently CRM On Premise with RU8, Windows Server 2008 Std, SP1. SQL Server 2008 STD.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Not yet, I'm going to be installing RU10 in the next week, I'll update this thread if that fixes it.
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:28 PM
  • This looks like a bug, can you open a feedback item with connect which can be tracked for next rollup.

Regards,

Rahul Agarwal

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:43 PM
  • This has been reported and accepted as a bug by Microsoft. I believe this has been addressed in RU10.

Visit my blog for CRM material, improving performance, kerberos, IFD, development tips, etc. :) http://quantusdynamics.blogspot.com

• Edited by nrodri Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:03 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:02 PM
  • Hi, Was this fixed? I have the same issue in Production environment. but this works fine in our local dev environment. If this is a bug in CRM, then why I dont get that issue in dev environment?

Thanks!

Thursday, September 6, 2012 3:24 PM
  • hi... can you pass on the bug number? We are also facing same issue in one of our customer environment.

Monday, September 17, 2012 12:28 PM
  • We installed RU 10 and not only did it NOT fix the issue, now we can't use the quick find for Contacts.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:29 PM
  • Ok, I found a workaround on the Quick Find issue on another forum in case someone else runs into this issue when installing RU 10. I turned off "Quick Find Record Limits Enabled". http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/crm/thread/97e34d36-8a8c-49db-b77b-42e552fd50bb

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:00 PM
  • hello, the bug is still active and looks like they havent address it in RU10. The strange thing is we have two environments, but this issue happens only in one environment but not in the other. if it is a bug, then this should fail in all environments. I have no clue whats going on.

Heres' the link to the bug https://connect.microsoft.com/dynamicssuggestions/feedback/details/753096/bug-report-preview-button-error

Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:44 PM
  • Is this bug still open ? The preview works in one environment but faults in the others
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 1:46 PM
  • Hi Adrian,

whilst this solution is unsupported, it did fix our issue. We identified that the preview form for reports was missing in our organization. The org was not a fresh one, but migrated from a CRM 4.0 setup.

The following SQL, run against the organization database ([ORG_NAME]_MSCRM) creates the missing form:

INSERT [dbo].[SystemFormBase] ([FormXmlManaged], [Version], 
    [FormId], [PublishedOn], [FormXml], [CanBeDeleted], [OrganizationId], 
    [ComponentState], [IsCustomizable], [OverwriteTime], [IsManaged],
     [Description], [Name], [AncestorFormId], [Type], [SupportingSolutionId], 
     [SolutionId], [ObjectTypeCode], [FormIdUnique], [IsDefault])
      VALUES 
      (NULL, NULL, N'34f5a40a-5927-4bec-9180-e9f691d7664d', CAST(0x0000A0350099DF68 AS DateTime),
       N'<form><tabs showlabels="false"><tab name="general" verticallayout="true" id="{2b53534e-ba06-42a3-9c34-2b2baf137af6}" IsUserDefined="0"><columns><column width="100%"><sections><section name="information" id="{0cd5952b-2548-41cb-aeae-d9Be03ee1694}" IsUserDefined="0" showlabel="false" showbar="false" height="auto"><rows><row><cell colspan="2" showlabel="false" auto="true" id="{2c1056e5-4ddb-4b71-b393-947cac5f584e}"></cell></row></rows></section></sections></column></columns></tab></tabs></form>',
        0, (Select Distinct OrganizationId FROM OrganizationBase), 0, 1, CAST(0x0000000000000000 AS DateTime), 
       1, N'The preview form for this entity.', N'Information', 
       NULL, 4, NULL, N'fd140aad-4df4-11dd-bd17-0019b9312238', 9100, N'9a7e7b38-c226-4235-9bc9-5210b8192ad6', 0)

IISRESET and you are done.

Best,

Norbert

Thursday, November 8, 2012 12:10 PM
  • Hi Norbert,

I haven't checked this in our environment yet but it sounds like it could be a promising solution.  In terms of being unsupported, yes I agree that modifying the database directly is most definitely unsupported.  However, editing the FormXml section of the customisations.xml in a solution zip file IS supported, therefore it could be possible to export the solution, add the missing preview form and then re-import the solution. 

When I get 5 minutes I'll check this out... hopefully it will work!

Cheers,

Adrian

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:42 PM
  • Hi Adrian,

that is a direction I when for as well, but, at least when you export the Report entity, the customization.xml does not bring the forms with it. I have not tried adding the required sections manually, which I don't believe will work, but might be worth a try.

How did you fare?

Cheers,

Norb

• Proposed as answer by Abhi CRM Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:23 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Abhi CRM Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:23 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Abhi CRM Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:25 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Abhi CRM Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:25 PM
    Sunday, December 16, 2012 2:25 AM
  • Hello All,

This post seems bit old, but the problem is with the availability of report snapshot, when the report snapshot is not available it gives an error.

would suggest to check on the report server whether snapshots are getting generated for these report or not.

thanks a lot,

Regards

Abhi

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:25 PM