Will microsoft stop selling current Windows Home Server after releasing Vail? RRS feed

• Question

• Reason I am asking, we are developing an add-in that works for current WHS, and if microsoft and other companies that sell WHS boxes continue selling boxes with current WHS, we do not need to rush and port the add-in to vail...

Thanks in advance

BahmanJ

BJ
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 7:15 PM

Answers

• I'd say that yes, Microsoft will discontinue V1 when Vail is released. OEMs will then probably have to deplete their remaining inventory and get Vail servers into the pipeline. System builders can continue to install V1 as long as they have disks, but at some point they won't be able to obtain additional installation media.

Also note that Windows Home Server V1 will reach end-of-life in January 2013.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 8:34 PM

All replies

• Only MS knows (I guess.). But your question about this, is what I expected.. every effort related to WHS will reconsidered and thinked over at least twice before spending any budget on it . Could very well lead to a natural ending of WHS I'm afraid (but do not hope it to be true at all!!)

Reason I am asking, we are developing an add-in that works for current WHS, and if microsoft and other companies that sell WHS boxes continue selling boxes with current WHS, we do not need to rush and port the add-in to vail...

Thanks in advance

BahmanJ

BJ

Have a nice day!
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 7:48 PM
  • I'd say that yes, Microsoft will discontinue V1 when Vail is released. OEMs will then probably have to deplete their remaining inventory and get Vail servers into the pipeline. System builders can continue to install V1 as long as they have disks, but at some point they won't be able to obtain additional installation media.

Also note that Windows Home Server V1 will reach end-of-life in January 2013.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 8:34 PM
  • Reason I am asking, we are developing an add-in that works for current WHS,
    and if microsoft and other companies that sell WHS boxes continue selling
    boxes with current WHS, we do not need to rush and port the add-in to
    vail...
    ----
    Only Microsoft knows for sure, but since Windows 7 (comes in both 32 and 64
    bit flavors) will be the last 32 bit flavor OS from Microsoft, I'm guessing
    WHS v1 will be discontinued just because . . . Especially since HP has
    discontinued WHS as a whole.

From my vantage point, it doesn't look much like even WHS Vail will make it
    to release. I'll wait until January to see what happens with WHS Vail beta,
    but if it's worse than what we already have, I'll most likely reinstall WHS
    v1 and forget anything else. I may just reinstall WHS v1 on a new hard drive
    and have it set up ready to go when needed. :)

BTW, what is the add-in you're developing, and will it be valuable to plain
    old Joe Public?

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 10:20 PM
  • Wait a sec.....

Isn't MS just said they will drop out of Vail for forever?

I thought that was the situation?

Thursday, December 9, 2010 9:04 AM
  • On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 09:04:09 +0000, ajy0903 wrote:

Isn't MS just said they will drop out of Vail for forever?

I thought that was the situation?

No, all they've said is that the Drive Extender technology is being
    dropped.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca

Thursday, December 9, 2010 10:01 AM
  • Oh, ok.
    Hope there are alternative for DE.
    And it has feature of what the DE is capable of.
    Then I might re consider of using WHS V1 and use Vail.

Thursday, December 9, 2010 10:22 AM
  • My opinion is also (like many others) that DE was the best feature Microsoft had in WHS, so removing it is realy a wrong move. But I heard microsoft (Steve Balmer) is looking into this issue of removing the drive extender or not. So my guess is that this issue is not dead yet.

Thanks for all the people who commented on my qustion, but can somebody from microsoft give me a direct answer to my question. Does anybody from microsoft looks at this forum?: Will microsoft stop selling current Windows Home Server after releasing Vail?

Thanks

BahmanJ

BJ
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 7:29 PM
  • … So my guess is that this issue is not dead yet. …

Stick a fork in it, it's done. DE is gone. Thinking otherwise is wishful thinking.

As for an official Microsoft reponse, have you noticed that someone from Microsoft wandered by and marked an answer to your question? But anyway, why would Microsoft not discontinue V1 of this OEM/system builder only product when V2 is released? OEMs aren't going to sell V1 servers for years after the release of V2, any more than they sold XP computers to consumers for years after the release of Vista. (XP downgrades aren't quite the same thing, and consumers couldn't get them for very long. Businesses are another story.)

Friday, December 10, 2010 2:08 PM