Moving OCS from one VM to another. RRS feed

• Question

• Are there any issues with moving OCS 2007 R2 from one Hyper-V host server to another host?  I know that OCS is tightly integrated into AD so I know that I do not want to delete it from AD so the machine name can not change or i will have issues.  Is it better to export/import or can I just copy the single VHD file and create a new VM on a different host?

As I get more users on the machine I want to move it to a more robust host server.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Monday, April 13, 2009 11:12 PM

All replies

• As long as your virtual guests have network connectivity betwen them, moving the virtual server to another host shouldn't effect how the guests interact between themselves. 
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:34 PM
  • Jeff,

Thanks for the reply.

I guess what I am asking is if it is okay to export my VM that is running OCS and import it onto an entirley differnt host box and relaunch OCS from there?  Will this cause any issues with OCS? I will keep the same IP for the VM after the move and not dis-join it from the domain.  My concern would be with the GUID.  I hope I am making sense.  I just don't want anything to change that will screw up my OCS.

Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:44 PM

• Use the Hyper-V Export menu option to export the guest / child VM (OCS) from one physical host then the Import menu option on the target physical host should work for you if you intend to keep the VM running status-quo. Make sure that the VM is completely shut down prior to this exercise. Also, ensure that the target Hyper-V host is setup with a virtual switch connected to the network card where the child VM can communicate with the existing AD environment.

This is the beauty of using virtualization as it is hardware independent and everything is encapsulated in the vhd (and configuration files describing the VM settings).

Hope this helps. Do let us know. Thanks.

TechNet Forum Moderator - http://www.leedesmond.com
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:45 PM
  • If you are asking about the guest's Server GUID, that will be stay the same as none of the content INSIDE the VM will be altered by moving it between hosts.  But if you are asking about the Hyper-V GUID, then that can change when exporting/duplicating the guest but it in no way affects the operation of the guests inside; it doesn't apply to AD or anything running within the virtual environment.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:28 PM
  • Thanks guys.  I just didn't to screw anything up by moving the VM.  I have moved others but they are not as tightly integrated into AD.  I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:45 PM